Monday, July 19, 2010

Above 10,000 feet!

Above 10,000 feet is when you can turn on your electronic devices...so I could take a picture! We had a good flight. It had probably been pretty close to thirty years since Woody had flown. This was the first time that Woody and I had ever flown together. So a new experience!!! One of many new experiences for this trip...I am afraid! We had to wait for a couple of hours for the NIH shuttle to come for us. So we had a Subway sandwich and than sat near where the shuttle picks up passengers. I read a magazine for a while and I dozed a bit. We got to NIH and Woody went to admitting and I sat in front of the elevator that we take to his room...I watched the luggage...and we didn't have to lug it any farther than necessary! The bags were not light! As soon as he finished with admitting, we headed upstairs to get him settled in a room. He has a really nice private room...large and it has a pretty view. Guess who greeted us...his favorite nurse! She has him as her patient! She was very helpful in getting him settled. He went for lab work...happens pretty quickly when it is so late in the day. This is the first time that he has had a woman do his lab work. Her name was Ehilitu Adamu. When she made a call, she spoke in a foreign language. Woody asked her what language she had spoken and she said "Amaharic." I just looked it up and it is a Semitic language spoken in North Central Ethiopia.

After his lab work, I walked over to the Safra Lodge and got checked in. What a nice place...and that is an understatement! This time I am definitely getting more than I paid for something...since this lodging is free. It is just like being in a hotel...but with a more home-like atmosphere. I went back to Woody's room after getting checked in...he ordered his supper and I went and got a chef's salad. We ate in his room. And, then I came back to the lodge to see if I could get online so I could blog...very easily accomplished! So I am in for the night and Woody is ensconced in his hospital room. He will have the line put in tomorrow that they will put the chemo, etc. through. He can't eat or drink after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment