Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Nesting


Our birdhouses are once again in demand.  I'm so glad that I asked Nathan to clean out the debris that had collected in the birdhouses over the last year as this gave the birdies an empty place to build their homes for this year.  We are a bit disappointed that the sparrows beat out the blue birds...but there is still time for there to be a housing war and the residents switch!  These birdhouses have seen better days, but they are still attracting the birds.  The little fellow in the top photo was really having quite a time with the long piece of dried grass.  He/she would take it in and then it would pop out and then it would go back in and then it would be back out and he/she would tug it with the beak trying to get it in just the right spot inside.  Joy read to me this morning and then Graham, Abigail and Esther joined her to have art.  Today they made a jumping jack leprechaun...they colored him and then put him together with brads.  Graham is supposed to figure out how to string them so they can jump up and down with the pull of a string.  They had fun and we talked about St. Patrick's Day and also about legends about leprechauns.  I think that several left forming plans in their heads as to how to catch a leprechaun!  Maybe, if they do catch one, they will share the gold treasure! While I was having art with the children Woody went on his short-four-mile walk.  After art I got ready to head back to the dentist to get the stitches out.  I never checked to see what it looks like in my mouth with one less tooth, but the children this morning wanted to see what the stitches looked like.  They said that it looked like he had used a black marker.  The dentist thought that was a funny description!  Woody did go with me to the dentist again today...he said in case they needed him to scoop me up off the floor!  The stitches came out very easily and we were on our way.  We then ran a couple of errands which included him getting me a new watch for my birthday. My old watch was working well, but the clasp had given out on it.  I'm pleased with my new one.  After we had lunch, I had Isaac come over for a short time of school.  Elijah opted out today as they were working outside and I didn't blame him for wanting to stay outside on this beautiful day!  Woody had an appointment this afternoon with at the sleep clinic.  He found out that he does have sleep apnea when he sleeps on his back, but does not if he sleeps on his side or his stomach.  So he doesn't have to get an "elephant nose."  While he was at the doctor, I made a pot of soup.  Though the temperatures were in the mid 70's today, tomorrow they are supposed to once again drop drastically. Rain is supposed to be moving in along with some gusty March winds...typical back and forth weather as Spring approaches.  The grandchildren have been running around in shorts and have worked so hard with their mom and dad at getting a handle on the leaves in both our yards.  Amazing what can happen when so many arms and legs get going on such a daunting job!   Our yards look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment