Saturday, November 23, 2019

And, What Does Your Preacher Do On Saturday Afternoon?


Our preacher is the one with the chain saw!  He had told Nathan and Kathy that when the tree came down that they wanted to cut it up for wood.  Just moments after it fell last night, Kathy texted him that his fire wood was laying in the front yard and across the road.  He and several of his children (he has six) came over this afternoon.  In this picture our grandson Graham is in between the preacher's twin boys.  Though it looks like the boys weren't working they had been and did soon after this picture.  The older boys took turns with an ax splitting the logs into pieces and then they and some of the younger children loaded up the back of the pastor's pickup.  It was an all afternoon job and I think that there is a bit more for them to come back to load up.  You can see how hollow most of the tree trunk was.  They definitely got some good fire work from their efforts and helped out our neighbors to boot!  

I was in the living room working on tomorrow's Sunday School lesson when I realized that I was hearing a chain saw and figured out that probably work on chopping up the tree had begun.  So I got a little distracted from my task since I "needed" to go out and snap a couple of photos!  I did eventually get back to the lesson and I guess I have the lesson pulled together.

I have also cooked today...both for current meals and for Thanksgiving.  Today I made the fresh cranberry-apple relish for Thanksgiving.  It needs to sit and let flavors meld so it is a good one to do well ahead.  I had planned to dry and cube the bread today, but decided that job could wait till tomorrow.  The loaves of bread turned out really well...so pretty.  Woody had a sandwich using slices from one of the loaves.  I don't need both loaves for the dressing so thought that he might enjoy a couple of slices for a chicken sandwich.  Yesterday I stewed a chicken and sliced part of it for sandwiches for Woody.  I also made more chicken stock (liquid gold).  I ended up using a lot of that stock this morning when I made Woody a chicken and rice casserole.  It is one that I make homemade cream of celery soup for...so that is an extra step.  It took a while to make, but Woody enjoyed it and there is enough for another meal or two.  The dishwasher is running, but I still have quite a few more dishes to do that didn't fit in the dishwasher.  I may hand wash them or may just empty the dishwasher when it is done and reload the ones sitting next to the sink!  My energy level is sinking at this time of the day!

Woody made his usual weekly trip to the public library this morning.  He has stayed in the rest of the day and that is probably just as well as temperatures have been going down and the winds have picked up.  It was much colder than I expected when I went out to take the pictures of the work on the tree.  We are all battened down for the evening...which for us means that all the curtains and shades are closed.  We are enjoying the new shades.  They do help keep the house warmer when they are down.  

Woody is reading.  I may read or "might" sew after I get through in the kitchen. I still have quite a bit of Christmas sewing to do (ornaments), but like I said...my battery is running down!  Just sitting sounds like a pretty good activity at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment