
My next to the oldest grandchild, Alex, turned 29 today. How can that be?!? Here he is at four. It took me a bit to figure out how to transfer a photo from my/Woody's laptop. I use a Windows device so rarely these days that I struggle when I turn the laptop on. But I had Payton fix the laptop so it can communicate with my iPhone. That way I can get a photo that is on the laptop over to my Apple devices…Windows laptop to iPhone to iPad to blog. Phew! But…I managed! I couldn’t user a baby photo of Alex, as I didn't have a digital camera back then. Well, I could have used one, but that would have been an altogether different process! One process was enough for tonight!
Today I spent time in another happy place in my home…the kitchen. I haven't done a lot of cooking lately…really haven't done much cooking since I got back from Alaska…just enough to get by…hadn't really felt like making a recipe that involved much time or effort. For some reason this week I felt like making Swedish Meatballs. So today I spent a good part of the morning and afternoon making that recipe. There is a bit of a funny story behind this recipe. It happens to be in the notebook that I collected recipes that were okay to make for Woody on his restricted kidney/dialysis diet. One time when Woody was in the hospital, he got a craving and decided that he wanted Swedish meatballs. Not a recipe that I had made him before, but something he decided he wanted…perhaps he saw it on a cooking show on TV. Anyway, I took it upon myself to fine a recipe that I could adapt to his dietary needs. So when he got out of the hospital, I gathered the ingredients and set to work to make them for him. I set them before him and this wasn't what he had had in mind that Swedish meatballs were. I don't think that we ever figured out just what recipe he had had in mind! He did try them, but they didn't come up to his expectations. I enjoyed them and kept the recipe…so recreated that recipe today and plan to enjoy them…but wonder what recipe Woody really wanted. It got harder and harder to find food that appealed to Woody in his last years…one reason being that he wasn't too thrilled with his diet restrictions and another reason he just wasn't interested in food like he had been for most of the years of our marriage. He always told me that he would try anything that I cooked…he might not want me to make it again…but he was willing to try anything once. And, for most of the years of our marriage, he was very easy to please…but in the last couple years of his life his taste and willingness to be adventurous in his eating definitely left…what he used to like, he no longer did and he developed weird requests or just didn't want to eat. My joy of cooking left for a period of time during those last years. My love of cooking has returned…but…I will admit that sometimes it is just easier to cook the easiest thing and I don't try new recipes like I used to…prefer tried and true recipes these days.
To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!
No comments:
Post a Comment