
Today has been another hot day…once again we are under a heat advisory and have been for a couple of days and will be for a couple more. I think we are all looking forward to some Fall temperatures and some rain…so hot and so dry!
I stuck to my Friday schedule and went to the grocery store. I bought a couple of things for recipes and shopped some of the sales…such as they are these days! My main way of shopping is to shop sale items…especially in the meat department. If I don't have immediate plans for the meat in a recipe, I freeze it for another day when I will plan a meal around what I have already purchased. Today's sale wqs a pork loin…I plan to cube part of the roast for sweet and sour pork or a soup recipe that calls for cubed pork. I think that this time I am going to cut the rest into pork chops…not going to use it as a roast at all this time. Sometimes I use half for a recipe and the other half I roast. A week or so ago chicken thighs were on sale and I bought some…skinned and boned them and popped them in the freezer to use in a recipe that I like to use thigh meat. With the cost of everything these days, I’m trying to shop and cook smart! I can't aways shop smart if I go in wanting to make a certain recipe and that week some of the ingredients are sky high in prices…just watching these days! Doing it this way I find that I have a good varied diet of recipes that I enjoy cooking…when I let my freezer do the inspiring rather than the grocery store aisles!
I bought a new pan to replace two of my cooking pans that had gotten old and probably shouldn't be used any more…those nonstick surfaces on pans just don’t hold up no matter how careful I have been with them…no dishwasher…no metal utensils, etc. I am in the process of switching to stainless steel. I have been very pleased with the ones I have gotten as replacements so far…hoping the new one I am pleased with…less in my cookware drawer by replacing two with one. One of the ones I am replacing had a bit lower sides and the other a bit higher sides. I hope that this one in the middle will do the job of both of them…time will tell! I am planning to make New England Clam Chowder sometime this weekend so will try this new pan out.
After getting the groceries bought, brought in from the car, and put away. I was pretty done in…this hot weather seems to wipe me out…or maybe it is my age…probably both! But I was very ready to stitch and read this afternoon. I finished the book and did a little more on the latest Christmas ornament.
I’ve got my dishwasher running and that is it for this evening…more stitching and reading is in store for me this evening. I’m looking forward to tomorrow as once again it is time for my Cottey Bookclub tomorrow late morning. I’d probably better go find a summary of the book and read it prior to the meeting as I read tomorrow's selections some time back…probably need to refresh my memory!
To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!
No comments:
Post a Comment