Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Picture not for the squeamish & medication confusion

Well, this didn't publish as I wanted--I wanted to put the picture toward the end so you could choose to look or not! Sorry! But here is a picture of his incision and ALL the staples! It is such a "clean-cut" wound that it doesn't really bother even my squeamish stomach!

Now to report on Woody's recovery progress. He is really doing very well. His pain is under control now that he is taking the medication according to hospital instructions and not the prescription bottle instructions.

We came home on Sunday and our pharmacy wasn't open. Woody wanted all records to stay at the same pharmacy so he decided to wait to fill the hospital prescription till Monday and use his pre-op pain meds till then. The pre-op prescription handled the pain fairly well, as he was able to pretty much sleep through the night on Sunday. I went first thing Monday to get the post-op prescription filled. They told me at the pharmacy that this prescription was "a step up" in pain medications from what he had been taking. Woody took the new medication at the appropriate time. I left for a little while and when I got home he was obviously in more pain rather than in less. I kept thinking that I was surprised that the prescription directions said to take one--we both knew that he had been taking two at the hospital. And I remembered them telling us at the hospital that he could take one or two. I finally remembered that we had a patient discharge paper with instructions to follow at home. It said to take one or two of these pills every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. The size tablet that was on the discharge instructions was the same as on the prescription bottle, so he immediately took another and very shortly his pain was much less.

Now it is Tuesday and he had another pretty good night. He says that he has pain, but that it is tolerable. He is resting now. He is thinking about taking a walk a little later. So I would say that he is progressing very well in his recovery.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That's quite the incision. I'm proud of you Lois. Not only do you not faint at the sight, but you were able to take a picture! I was throughly impressed you could blog the x-ray. I would still be trying to upload. We still have you in our thoughts and prayers. Everyday brings you closer to having all of this behind you. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, Carla! Do you think that our Candy Striper days might have prepared me for this? As I am in the hospital, I keep thinking of those experiences back eons ago! I don't know how I did some of the things that they had us do back then--I know that we would never be allowed to do some of them today! I am much more squeamish now than I was back in our high school days!

    About posting the x-ray...I took a picture of the picture of the x-ray that the doctor gave us.

    ReplyDelete