Friday, January 23, 2009

What a looooooooooong day!

The day has sort of become a blur. I took notes, but...they now seem jumbled. I think that his surgery started a little after 3pm and I was called by Dr. Holt a little after 5pm saying that they were finishing up his surgery at that time. He was in the recovery room by 6pm. But we didn't get to a room till 9pm. I almost passed out in the recovery room--but that is another story!

Dr. Holt reported that the biopsy of the tumor showed that it was melanoma and that the tumor had eaten away a lot more bone than they realized from the scans. She removed the tumor and cleaned up the bone and then put in the bone cement and then a plate over that. She said that they were able to "carefully" (she stressed the carefully!) manipulate his shoulder to give him better range of motion. He will start physical therapy in the morning on his shoulder.

At the moment I am thinking that we won't be going home tomorrow, but I guess time will tell. He is having some pain, but the meds seem to be keeping it at bay enough that he is resting peacefully. I have a chair that makes into a bed--they have provided linens and pillows for me--so I am set and, I am pretty sure that I will sleep tonight--no matter what! Sitting in a waiting room for 11+ hours and then another 1 1/2 hours in the recovery room (part of that 1 1/2 hours I was standing--reason that I got a bit woozy--but that got me a chair!)--has definitely made for a loooooooooong day!

I had the best serendipity today in the waiting room--while I was visiting with Linda and Doyle Hasty, the young lady next to us overheard what I was saying about some of Woody's treatments that were ahead for him. It seems that her dad was having an almost identical surgery as Woody's--at about the exact same time--by the same doctor. Her dad has renal cancer and had a tumor on the upper bone of his left arm also. His tumor did prove to be renal cancer. He has gone through Interleukin 2 treatments--so she and her mom shared about what was ahead for us. It was so helpful. God is so good to have sat these two ladies down next to me! They are just two doors down from us in this part of the hospital--so I am sure that we will see each other tomorrow. They also share Dr. Sosman with us. We couldn't believe how our paths had paralleled each other.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. They have been felt.

2 comments:

  1. God is so good! We pray that you both get some much needed rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are continuously praying for you and Woody. God is so Good that He gives good things to you that you couldn't even imagine - such as the ladies who shared with you in the waiting room to give you insight about the future. Our prayer is that God's hand touches all aspects of Woody's surgery and recovery so that he is ready for the next phase of treatment. Marie & Richard

    ReplyDelete