Friday, June 14, 2024

The Next Path: Facing Reality

Last night I was pretty brief with the blog as I had some information that I held back till I could tell Nathan, Kathy and family. I waited to tell them because last night was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner and I didn't want to put a damper on the fun festivities. But along with great joy sometimes great sadness. Yesterday we made the decision to place Woody on hospice care. Melany, Nathan, and I knew that on down the road this would probably be the path we would hav to choose...just weren't expecting it quite yet. Once that decision was made everything was stopped including dialysis for his care...what was added in were things to keep him comfortable. The first doctor we talked to indicated that we could do the hospice right there at Vanderbilt. The next doctor continue less than the first doctor...stop tube feedings, take out nose, which he was very happy about, let him eat little bites of pureed food if he wanted. He did try a couple of things but lost interest quickly. But at least he doesn't feel deprived now. The third doctor today told us that it would be better to leave Vanderbilt and go to a facility that specializes in hospice. There is one in Tullahoma and one in Shelbyville...but of those said that he didn't qualify. I didn't ask why! Wonder if he was too sick or not sick enough! But there is one in Murfreesboro that the lady on the phone is sure he will be accepted and to expect him to be transferred tomorrow. There is paperwork...supposedly all can be done online on a link they will send. They are supposed to make contact in the morning before noon since I will be involved with the wedding for several hours tomorrow afternoon. This is all a jumble. Nathan came up this afternoon to see Woody and I hitched a ride back to Tullahoma. Melany is staying the night...again and Wade is going to come spell her tomorrow morning so she can go home and get ready for the wedding. Nathan and I stopped at the church where the wedding will take place tomorrow afternoon. We got to see the decorations in progress and Nathan did a couple of Honey-dos! He brought me on home. I plan to do a few things around the house and repack my bag to stay wherever Woody lands...until I have to go back home for my 2nd cataract surgery that is supposed to take place on Tuesday. We had a really bad night last night. Woody coughed about all night...but is much better today as they have added in another med to help break up all that mucus. He also got to be very itchy this afternoon so they gave him benadryl. He is resting peacefully according to Melany. So I guess they are working on the "keeping him comfortable part" of his care. When awake, he has been fairly alert...conversed with us and his medical team. So we are coming to grips with his long road of fighting so much to come to an end. Hard to face the reality at this point...but at this point it isn't real! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment