Saturday, March 2, 2024

Dialysis Nurse Report: “ He Behaved!”

Shortly after I got to the waiting room at the dialysis center, one of the nurses stuck her head out the door and told me that he had "behaved today." I am pretty sure that they changed his dry weight and thus drew off less fluid...other than that, I don't know much. I wondered about his blood pressure during dialysis, but Woody said that he hadn't heard the nurse say what it was during the treatment today. I had meant to ask him to write down some of the readings on the back of his crosswords, but I forgot to ask him. They take blood pressure very frequently during treatment time...at least I know that I did when doing dialysis at home! He continues to be very weak after not moving out the hospital bed for 2-1/2 days. But I do think that as today came to a close that he was transferring from place to place a little easier...still not back to where he was before the hospital...which, of course, wasn't all that great anyway! It took him a long time to be able to transfer from the wheelchair into the car after dialysis...though not so hard getting out. He has to boost himself up a little to get into the car...but getting out he is helped by gravity! I made some New England Clam Chowder this afternoon...have finished cleaning up that mess and have the dish washer running and got the rest of the dishes washed by hand before I came upstairs. I attempted to catch up on the wash...one load is drying as I type and another is in the washer. I have already washed, dried and put away another load and folded and put away a load of towels from the other day. I cleaned Woody's bathroom while he was at dialysis...so lots of mundane chores today! I did go by the hospital and retrieve his shaving kit and I went to the Credit Union...both those I did before picking him up from dialysis. His leg wound is dressed and he is all tucked in for the night. He never has a lot of energy...but today he has had less than usual...hopefully he will slowly regain what he lost while he was in the hospital. A Fresenius nurse (from the kidney center) called us mid-afternoon and said that the nurse practioner who did his dialysis at the hospital wanted him to see a cardiologist...that was the first we had heard of that...our only doctor instruction post hospital was to make an appointment to see his personal care physician in the next two weeks. I told her that he doesn't have a cardiologist and that she would have to refer us to one. We'll see where that goes. We're not overly anxious to add another doctor into the fray!!!! A report on how well, or not, he is transferring...most of the time today, I tried to be behind him when he transferred...that way I could put my hand on his back and help propel him in the direction he was going...as the day went on I had to do less propelling...was just there "in case!" He did transfer from his recliner to the couch while I was upstairs...don't know how easily it went, but at least he was on the couch when I discovered he had moved while I was upstairs! I will say that I continue to seem to nap when I sit down...I slept pretty hard on my last nap. I had sat down to do a little stitching before I went downstairs to finish in the kitchen, but no stitching occured and when I woke up it was almost supper time...that is when he moved without me knowing it! Hopefully he will get a good night sleep and feel stronge tomorrow. He won't be going to Sunday School in the morning, as this is the first Sunday in the month and the youth minister teaches all the youth in a large group. Since Woody doesn't have to be here, he will stay home and rest some more. I plan to go to Sunday School, unless I feel uneasy about leaving him for that hour. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment