Thursday, February 19, 2009

Home Sweet Home!

We got discharged rather quickly this morning (Thurs.). Nathan arrived around 9:30am and we were underway by 10am and home by 11:30am.

It is very good to be home!!!!!!! Woody has rested most of the afternoon which he needs to do to regain his strength. He still doesn't have much appetite, but I am sure that will increase as he gets home and rests in his own recliner and bed and starts walking around in the house. He has been so sick and weak that he has stayed in bed most of the time in the hospital. And, our sleep has been so interrupted over the last week that I'm not sure that we will ever catch up! I took a nap this afternoon too. I feel like a truck has run over me--all adrenalin has left. So, some days at home resting should have us both up and going again shortly--we hope.

Our homecoming wasn't without drama. Nathan asked Woody if he needed help getting out of the car and into the house. "Of course" Woody said that he didn't. So we let Woody make his own way inside. Nathan started getting our things out of the car, and I headed up to the house to unlock the door. I turned back and saw that Woody had walked to the mail box and that he had a fleece throw around his shoulders. I set what was in my hands inside the house and was turning to go get some more things out of the car and the next thing Nathan and I knew...Woody was flat...well, not really flat...he had fallen forward as he started up the steps. Thank goodness for the fleece throw as it went under him and protected/cushioned him from hitting the rough steps directly. The main pain that he felt was in his broken/surgery arm. But Woody assured us that not much more could have happened to his arm than had already happened and he wanted us to help him up. Between Nathan and me with Woody's help, we got him up. The first thing that Woody said was that he hadn't realized how weak he really was. Guess he found out the hard way! But he seems none the worse for wear. It just shook the three of us up a bit. As I keep having to say...never a dull moment!

But the bottom line is that we are home! The way things look, the next treatments will not happen next week as Woody will need time for his kidneys to recover before considering going back for more of the IL-2. Woody will see Dr. Sosman next week and we will talk about future treatments then. Also Woody will have more lab work done that day to be sure that his kidneys are still in recovery mode.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you're home! I know that you both need several days and nights of rest. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete