Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's soup weather in TN


We got up this morning to quite cool temperatures. Today's high was 70 deg.F...very nice! I spent a good part of the afternoon making what I call our first "serious" pot of soup for this season. It gets serious when it takes quite a while to prepare the ingredients that go into the soup and then when it has to simmer for quite a while. We really enjoy homemade soup when the temps start to fall. That is our meal of choice when it gets cool. We have lots of "tried and true" soup recipes and also from time to time try a new one. Today's "soup of the day" is Spicy Vegetable Beef...yum! yum! And, it has a ton of veggies in it...reason that it took so long to prepare. The soup was ready when Woody came in from work, but all he got to do was get a good whiff of how good it smelled and then we headed out the door to run an errand. Woody needed to take something to one of his Sunday School boys and I went along for the ride. And, it was a beautiful day for a drive out into the countryside. After Woody made his delivery, we went on to Normandy Lake (Tullahoma's water source). It was so good to see the water level up so high...it has been so very low of late. We drove to the recreation area and parked and got out so I could snap a picture or two. On the other side of some resting Canadian Geese, Woody spotted the above bird standing at the edge of the lake...and we slowly moved in closer and closer so I could get a good picture. Are any of you bird experts? I need help in positively identifying this bird. I have looked in our bird books and also on line and I'm still not absolutely sure what it is...perhaps a Little Blue Heron????? If any of you know for sure, would you post in the comments what it is? Woody did walk at work today. Our walk together today was our little bit of exploring along the shore of Normandy Lake. (The collage is clickable so you can see the bird a little bigger...I have had quite a time with the blog tonight...some might have come in and seen that tonight's was here and then it was posted twice and then both disappeared...I had trouble being able to get the picture collage to be clickable...but by determination...it now is! And, I hope that I didn't confuse anyone too much!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Betty Kelley and I am a friend of Sue Jackson. I am a photographer too, so enjoy your photos a lot. The bird is a blue heron.

    Some post back you commented about golden rod and allergies, it is RAGEWEED that is the culprit. Golen rod is not.

    My email is mbkngu@charter.net if you would like to contact me. I have a few photos of blue heron made a number of yrs ago in FL. My passion is trying to photograph hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete