Tuesday, December 1, 2009

One year ago...


One year ago, a little after 8pm on December 1, 2008, Dr. Aiken called with the news that the place that he had removed behind Woody's ear was melanoma. It put us in a tail spin of absorbing the news and then finding out what we would do next...and then next...and we continue to be in that "what is next" phase. There haven't been many dull moments in the past year! I can't believe all that Woody has been through in this span of a year's time...a ton of lab work, tests, scans, surgery, IL-2 (two rounds), radiation, kidney stones (2 bouts), chemo drug study...and the list goes on. I'm very thankful for all the doctors that we have had and the way things have sort of fallen into place all along the way. God saw us through this past year and I know that he will continue to lead us forward...guiding and directing our decisions and doctors' decisions. This coming week Woody will be starting on his sixth cycle (month) of the chemo drug study, if all is okay with his lab work. I will say that a lot of the past year has been pretty much a blur for me. I am so thankful that the chemo drug study seems to be stopping, or at least slowing, the progression of Woody's melanoma.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I read with interest your blog on your husband's fight with melanoma. My mother fought this horrible disease and lost her fight on Mother's Day this year. I remember exactly the time I found out when she had it and I was in charge of her medical appointments, etc.

    Please let me share this with you:
    Every day begins with God's purpose-
    there isn't a detail that escapes His eye . . .
    a trial that doesn't touch His heart . . .
    or a single experience
    beyond His compassion.
    Every moment of your life
    is in His care-
    and I pray that He gives you
    peace and hope today.

    May God bless you as you continue to care for your husband. I pray this Christmas is a wonderful time with your family.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete