Saturday, March 7, 2009

Drama on the 11th floor...again!

Enough of this "deja vu stuff!" Less than an hour after Woody had the third infusion he felt cold. I immediately hit the nurse call button and she came right in and gave him the injection right into his IV line. But shortly he was shaking uncontrollably. It wasn't long till we had at least 5 nurses and our care partner in our room because his heart rate was setting off alarms. Our nurse was with another patient and she entered the picture a bit down the road! They ended up giving him the pill that he takes under his tongue. When that didn't get the quakes to subside, they gave him another injection into his IV line. Finally after about 30 min. his tremors did subside. Then he got very nauseated--by that time it was just his nurse, the care partner and me in the room with Woody. He got medicine for nausea and finally dozed off for a bit--but not long enough.

Our care partner had the "line of the day." He said after Woody got so nauseated..."What do you expect when you shake like that...it's like when you jostle a baby and then hand the baby off to someone you don't like!" That even got a slight smile from Woody even feeling as badly as he was at the time!

Woody has now gone to the next extreme--he's now burning up--has a fever--I have been cooling his face and neck off with a cold wash cloth. He has dozed off for the moment. So all is quiet on "the western front" at least for the time being.

Stay tuned for the next installment!

1 comment:

  1. I can't seem to leave this blog for a moment! I checked in and things were fine. I checked later and WOW!!! My heart aches for him, but he's one infusion closer to being done! We are still praying!!! Lois, we are praying for your strength too. You are one strong lady who is turning a year older soon. Thought I'd forgotten? NEVER! I have to remember all the people I know who are as old as I am!

    ReplyDelete