Saturday, July 24, 2010

Same song...second verse

Woody had the same two chemos today as he had yesterday. He has slept a good part of the day, which he needed as he was up so much last night. While he is on the one chemo...which he only gets two days...he has to void a certain amount every two hours round the clock...this a protective measure for his bladder. So not much rest for the weary! And, he has been getting up to go to the bathroom three or more times during those two hours.
He got a bit concerned this afternoon when his tooth started hurting some again and then he found out that he was running a slight fever...but doctors and nurses have "tried" to assure him that if it is the tooth that the antibiotic that he is taking will be on top of that infection. They feel that the fever is just part of the side effects of the chemo. I hope that they have reassured him enough so he can rest peacefully when he isn't in the bathroom tonight!
Tomorrow was supposed to be the day that I had to move out of the Safra Family Lodge for a day or so...but earlier in the week they told me that I have a room for all the days except for one. I was going to have to move to a hotel tomorrow...but I just found out that I will be able to stay here for the whole time...I will just have to move rooms on Monday...much easier (I think) to move rooms than to have to move to a hotel! After I blog, I will cancel my reservations at the hotel.
So summary report on Woody...he has finished one of the chemos...he has three days to go on the other one...which is the one that is supposed to be the easiest to tolerate. I think that the nursing staff thinks that he has done quite well. He hasn't been nauseated...just not hungry. They are trying to manage his pain a bit differently...treating it with a medication that nerve pain is dealt with...neurontin...I told him that we were now twins...as I take that for my Transverse Myelitis nerve pain.
I spent the day in Woody's room reading, embroidering, and watching Home and Garden channel and the Food channel. It is VERY hot here...still 92 as I type this. Tonight's picture is taken from the hill from Safra Lodge looking down on part of the NIH campus...looking at the side of the building where Woody is. It's a pretty easy walk to get there...but a bit of a climb coming back to the lodge! I am trying to walk it most of the time...there is a shuttle and I have only ridden it back to the lodge once. So I'm getting a bit of exercise each day as I usually make more than one round trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment