Saturday, September 13, 2014

Fall-like Saturday

What a beautiful day! Summer is fast dwindling away.  According to our thermometer and Weatherbug it never left the 60's today (hi of 66).  Definitely a change is in the air!  Woody got up and walked early.  He said that it was chilly.  Later in the morning he headed off to do our Saturday grocery shopping and his weekly trip to the library. I worked a bit around the house this morning...mainly dusting and straightening things up a bit.  Graham and Elijah came over and put all the K'nex back in the "K'nex area."  So, if you should drop by for a visit, once again I can invite you to sit down in the living room...though there is still a large K'nex roller coaster front and center...a conversation piece!  I finished reading a book after lunch.  And, a little while ago finished the next animal square for Isaac's quilt...the hippo. I have now finished seven and have five to go...moving right along.  I can't embroider many more animals until I purchase some more embroidery bobbin thread (it is much thinner than regular thread) so once that happens I will have to wait to get some when the stores open on Monday. Woody and I continue to observe "blue laws" of old (nothing open on Sunday) and try not to shop or eat out on Sunday.  The only reason that we go to a store on Sunday is "if the ox is in the ditch!"  So I will get done what I can and then make preparations on the quilt...like pick out embroidery thread colors for the rest of the designs or cut the rest of the background squares.  So there is plenty I can do on the quilt without making someone work on Sunday for me to be able purchase thread (definitely not an "ox in the ditch!").  The Sunday "no shopping, etc." rule that we follow is a principle that we continue to believe in...no matter what present society has done to change the laws, folks thinking, etc.  We continue to observe Sunday as God's day...a day set aside for worship and rest. If I really followed the "no work on Sunday" as much as my ancestors, I wouldn't even be sewing...but to me sewing is restful (most of the time).

1 comment:

  1. Just had to tell you what my "Hard shell Baptist" grandma thought. She never did Anything on Sunday. She told me if you sewed on Sunday you'd take the stitches out with your nose when you got to heaven. So you're wise to lay off that machine embroidery. ;) Earlene

    ReplyDelete