Monday, August 24, 2020

First Day on Dialysis Machine

For a change I can post a photo that I took on the day I took it! I wonder how long Blogger will allow me to use the old way! Aw you. This lets you see Woody all hooked up and the type of machine that will soon reside at our house...along with 60 boxes of supplies! The machine makes it much easier to do than the manual dialysis that we did all last week. Today the nurse walked us through and we watched. Tomorrow I will "get" to do the connecting and disconnecting, etc. with the help of instructions on the machine's screen and our nurse talking me through the process. With the machine a person only has things to do prior to the dialysis and then connecting. The machine does all the draining and filling and keeping track of amounts, times, etc. pretty nifty. Then after the machine is finished with the last drain a person takes over again. Woody still hasn't perked up yet...but he also hasn't received a full dialysis yet either. He won't have a full dialysis until we are doing it at home due to the length of time that it takes. The way this is supposed to work is that we will hook Woody up prior to him going to bed and then he can sleep through the night and in the morning I will do the final steps. I do hope that he will be able to sleep during it. The machine worked very well today...it pulled off all the fluid that it put in plus some...good for the first time. I also finished reading the manual and answering a ton of questions. I was given the manual to bring home...it has a wealth of information in it...it just needs a good index...hard to find things...maybe I will note the pages of info that I think that I might need most. But that can wait...a bit...my brain is on overload! This is like a crash course on tons of important information that you might need to know! And, at the moment a lot of that info is just spinning around in my head. Hopefully it will settle down and be filed in correct places in my brain! It's pretty intense information! Today Woody got an anemia shot at the dialysis center. That will be done there now. I came home to check with TN Oncology to see if he still will go there for his B-12 shot, etc. They said "yes" so I had to reschedule his appointment as it conflicted with our dialysis training time. He will now go after he finishes dialysis on Wednesday. I had to cancel/postpone his dermatology appointment that was for tomorrow...again...it conflicted with our dialysis training time. We will wait to reschedule that till we are settled into a dialysis schedule at home and also, hopefully after he is feeling a bit stronger. Lots of juggling going on in our household...wrong Dorrell household for juggling! The nurse did order all our supplies this morning. The suppliers will let us know in a couple of days when we can expect delivery. I can hardly wait...ha! Today I pulled out our old kitchen wastebasket that I was using in the laundry room. I'm going to get it cleaned up as we have to have a large one to throw away supplies. Still lots to do to get ready. But by the time I get home from the training, all I want to do is sit in my chair and nap! I am so glad that this daily trip to the dialysis center will soon be behind us and we can stay home most of the time once again. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! An aside: I am so glad to be able to post photos once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment