Monday, August 31, 2020

On Our Own and a Serendipity!

I guess you can say we have graduated from dialysis training. This morning the nurse had me do one more exchange...a 1/4 of a dialysis treatment. When it started the nurse handed me some papers to take home and also a test! Well, here is where the serendipity in tonight's title comes in! Last night I had one of those nights, again, where I sleep for several hours and then wake up and my body thinks that it has had a good nap so I can't get back to sleep. This is a good time to read. I decided that I would go looking for more of the PDF manuals from our dialysis company. I have been saving the manuals for those from Fresenius dialysis for his machine as PDF files on my iPad...that way I can easily do a word search when I want to find out something specific. I did find another quick reference for Woody's dialysis so set it up as a PDF file and then read through it. I still wasn't sleepy so decided to make one more search and here is the "serendipity"...I found a test for Fresenius Dialysis Care...with all the correct answers circled. I decided that it was worthy of studying...just in case. I read through the whole test...probably twice. And, guess what...that was the test that I was handed this morning! it was just a happen chance, as I didn't know that I was going to be given a test, and I didn't go looking for a test...it just landed in my lap so to speak! It definitely took the stress off of taking a test! Once Woody's partial partial dialysis treatment was finished we were on our way home. I did have something happen when setting Woody's up this morning that the nurse said had only happened one other time since he had been working there for more than two years. I had him give me a manual drain bag...just in case...he said that it shouldn't be needed but that if it made me feel better..! We have had so many storms blow through here in the last few days that it is definitely a possibility of a power outage...and I didn't want to take any chances! We had another patient line blockage warning today, too. It took three retries to get it back going. I hope that we sleep tonight...but not so soundly that we don't hear alarms on the machine! The nurse came after lunch and got our machine all set up with Woody's info and connected to a modem that will send data directly to the center...guess they can keep an eye on us that way! After he got all that done, he had me get the machine all set up for tonight's exchanges. All I have left to do is connect him to the machine and go through a few more steps, then the machine should take over and not need our attention till morning. We will see if that is possible! Will let you know tomorrow how things go tonight and also how the BIG delivery goes tomorrow! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! (I hope this blog post makes sense. I went back to look at something and found entire sentences that made no sense...the iPad had substituted the words it wanted me to use! Hope this makes sense. The way this format works, it is very hard to go back to check things...and, if you find a mistake it is hard to correct!)

No comments:

Post a Comment