Friday, August 21, 2020

Our first week of dialysis training is complete! And, I think that today went very well. I suggested to the nurse first thing that I do everything the way we did yesterday, but this time I wanted to read the instructions myself as I went along. And, that worked so much better than me following what he told me to do. I did discover something that there was another sheet of directions to finish off the manual dialysis that I hadn't seen before...26 more steps! He had given me instructions to read but not those and so when he started telling me to do those things yesterday they were totally foreign to me since I hadn't seen them before. At least it gave me a reason in my mind as to why I was so confused at the end of the day yesterday. The nurse shortened the day for us today because it is Friday and he only had us use one bag of the dialysis solution and we were home before noon. Monday we will start learning about the machine that he will be using at home. What we have been doing, manual dialysis, is only used in emergency situations...no electricity or malfunction of the machine. We have to know how to do this "just in case." Woody got a new throw from the dialysis company. He was very happy to receive that as he is always cold! It is bright lime green and a very nice size. I am attacking "his room" (the family room) this weekend...everything needs to be super clean in the area that the dialysis takes place. So I have been attacking small areas at a time. Today got a desk cleaned off and dusted well and wiped off with disinfectant wipes so I can place some supplies on it. First supplies we were given today...those I need to change the bandage and clean around the area that the tube enters his abdomen. This job has been turned over to me..the non nurse who has been put on nurse duty! I will "get" to do that for the first time tonight. I have been shown how. I guess it is time for me to go check on my patient and see if he is hungry for a little supper. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment