Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thoroughly Thursday!

First thing that I did this morning was put a chicken on to stew. I had it cooked and cooling by time for Elijah to come over for school. Esther came over after Elijah and she finished another Dick and Jane book. The stories in this one had gotten quite long towards the end of the book. She picked up one of the two that I had checked out from the church library and she wanted to start right in reading since the stories in it are soooooooo short (at the start of the book at least)! She read about the first five stories. Practice! Practice! That's what makes a good reader. She puts so much expression in her reading...if anyone can make Dick and Jane come alive our little kindergartner, Esther, can!!!! After she finished reading, it was time for us to head next door, as Kathy, Nathan and Woody had a meeting to go to at church. Elijah and Isaac went with them and the four older children stayed with me. We continued on with their school work. Talk about a three ring (errrrrrrr four ring!) circus...going from one to another. Kudos to Kathy for doing this most every day!!!! I don't usually do school with more than one at a time! My head was spinning at times! But they all got a lot done. And, were eager to surprise their mommy as to how much they could get done in the hour+ that she was gone. I came home ready for a nap!!! But then it was time to cut the chicken off the bone and then put more veggies and the bones back in the broth I'd stewed the chicken in to make some rich chicken broth ("liquid gold"). I will say that the time that I was sick I was so very glad that I had an abundance of chicken broth in the freezer...that was one of the few nourishing things that I could "stomach" while I was sick a few weeks back. And, the wonderful thing is that the chicken broth had a very good flavor even when eaten all by itself. I stewed today's chicken with fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley from our home grown herbs and then later added carrots, celery, onion and garlic and let it cook till supper time. We do well at growing herbs and it is so nice to be able to go out on the back porch and/or the back garden beds and snip what "flavors" we are needing for various recipes! After getting the broth simmering, I did go upstairs and did rest and nap a bit. When I came downstairs, it was time to strain the broth and then fix us some supper. Woody went on a four-mile walk while I was napping. Tonight's photos show some of our neighbor grandchildren enjoying baby Frosties that friends brought by to us this afternoon. A nice mid afternoon treat! It has been a beautiful day--it almost made it to 80! Rain is back in the forecast...imagine that!!!! (Oh, just remembered...during school time next door, Graham asked me if I had any chicken wings at our house...he wanted to cut into one and see the bones and also cut or break the bones so he could see what the inside of the bones looked like. Well, I ran next door and cut off the wings of the chicken that I had just cooked and took them back to him on a plate and he "dissected" chicken wings...this was something suggested in his science lesson. Worked out great that I had cooked a chicken early this morning!)

No comments:

Post a Comment