Saturday, February 25, 2023

Celebration Times Two!

We've had quite the day celebrating! We moved our Christmas up a little earlier this morning because Woody's dialysis clinic called and asked if he could come in a little earlier. So Nathan, Kathy and crew got a hustle on and headed our way about an hour earlier than they planned. We got right down to business of opening our gifts. We had fun! Lots of thought was put into each one given and received! I think the one that brought about the most interest was that Woody gave Nathan the Dorrell Family Bible. The kids were interested in the names and dates in the middle of the Bible. Esther found a bill of sale for a horse! That intrigued her horse-loving side immensely! Woody used to have the Dorrell Bible in his room when he was a child. But at some point one of his uncles got possession of it. A few months back one of Woody's cousins sent the Bible to Woody, as he is the only Dorrell left in the family who has a son and grandsons to continue on the Dorrell name. Woody decided to give the Bible to Nathan for Christmas and leaves it up to Nathan to whom he passes it on to in due time. The kids spent a lot of time leafing through the old pages. Woody's cousin had the Bible rebound, but took pictures of the original Bible and left those pictures in the Bible. When it was rebound, he had the original marriage amd birth pages laminated and added more pages so future generations can continue to add family names and dates to the new pages. An hour before Woody was to go to dialysis, I put the numbing cream on his arm and wrapped it in saran wrap...not a usual part of our Christmas celebration! Nathan helped us get to the car when it was time to go to dialysis. Nathan, Kathy and crew stuck around till I got back from dropping Woody off. When we got to the dialysis center, they were ready for him and he went right back. We got there at 10am and she told me I could pick him up at 2pm...that was right on the nose, too! I got back to the house and found out that they had decided to celebrate Graham's 21st birthday today at our house, too. Kathy and a couple of the children were off getting picking up gifts, birthday cake and other eats! Graham got to open more presents! Kathy decided that it was good to celebrate two days early when the whole family was together...not easy to have them all in one spot these days since they are getting older! Graham's most exciting, high-flying gift was flying/pilot lessons! These lessons start next week at the Shelbyville airport. He got to do some flying of gliders while he was a member of Civil Air Patrol so this will let him continue on with that interest. Gulp...says his Grammy! We made our own sub sandwiches and had Cookies and Cream cake...pretty yummy. Woody enjoyed a piece of the cake when he got home. Dialysis seemed to go well for Woody. He took crossword puzzles with him and he said he was surprised when they told him that it was just about time for him to come off the machine. So he is through with dialysis until Tuesday. According to their scales, he has started to gain some of his weight back...hope that trend continues. Before I picked up Woody from dialysis, I did a quick grocery run. I wanted to get cold things in the refrigerator before I picked up Woody, so decided to go to the grocery store down the road from us and am glad I did. Woody is in the mood for ribs and I found a rack of ribs with no extra additives and it was on sale...so win, win! I picked up a few other things that we needed and thus was home in plenty of time to put groceries away and then head out to pick Woody up. I am still looking at several piles of clothes that I need to wash, and have already done several loads. I needed to get some things washed for Woody first. And, have started sorting my clothes that I had at the hospital with me. It worked out just right as to what I packed to take with me to Vanderbilt...I have learned over the years what I need to take...and to take extra because with Vandy timing there's no telling how long we will be there...remember what I often say about Vandy timing! To sum up our rather busy day, I will say that Woody seems to be improving slowly but surely and he was so very happy to finally get to celebrate Christmas...even though two months late! I was pleased that he did well with in-center dialysis. In the past when he did in-center, it really zapped his strength...one reason being that they only do dialysis three days a week and then pull a little more off on those days...so it is a bit harsher. But today, they only did dialysis for a half-hour longer than we do it at home and he was there for a total of four hours rather than the five that it had been estimated for. But today he didn't seem zapped of strength which is good. We will see how it goes as the three times a week continues for the time being. I understood that he can have thirteen sessions (around a month) and still be considered a home-dialysis patient. This time in-center is considered respite for the home-hemo caregiver aka me! I will say that I was very glad not to have to do dialysis routine this morning along with wound care and other after hospital care and our celebrating! I will admit to being rather tired today. I'm sitting in my recliner, as I write tonight's blog a bit earlier than usual! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment