Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Well, Our Christmas Celebration Not Meant to Be Today

Woody didn't have the best night. A rare occurance, but he wanted something to drink in the middle of the night. When I went down to get his breakfast and set up for dialyss, I could tell that he was very weak...just couldn't manage to get into a sitting position...just wanted to stay lying down. I would let him rest for a while, but then wpuld uurge him to sit up so he could get his blood pressure up so he could move around. He was very pale and almost lathargic. I told him that I thought that he needed to go to the hospital...but he would attempt to rally and show me that he didn't need to. I had already figured that they were going to send him from Oncology today to get a transfusion. As the time for Davida to come to get his dialysis going, I could just tell that he wasn't going to be able to make it through an entire treatment. I called Davida and told her that I thought that I needed to cal 912. She was already close so she came by to help me evaluate the situation. His blood pressure was way low when we first took it so that sort of made the decision easier. She just told him that he needed to go and he went along with her. I called 911 and they were here very quickly and took him to the local hospital. Davida stayed here till the ambulance left. Then I gathered a few things and headed to the hospital. They had already done labs and very quickly found out that his hemoglobin was dangerously low. They snapped to and quickly typed hus blood ordered blood for a transfusion. He had just finished his 2nd unit of blood when I left a little while ago and were hanging a third. They have a goal in mind to get his hemoglobam to. They did a CAT scan as they could tell he was bleeding internally. What they see in the scan leads them to believe that it is an inflamed area that goes from the stomach into the duodenum. So they are treating sort of like an ulcer...going to give him some medicine to coat the stomach and let stomach rest a bit. Surgeon said that this type of happening can heal itself. They may have to do a scope, but don't want to irritate the area more for the time being. A GI doctor will probably be called in for a consult. Melany came after school today. We left at the same time...a little before dark...she had longer distance to drive in the dark. She is home now. It was still dusk when I got home. Woody was definitely markedly improved when we left. I will head back in the morning to check on him. The nurses have my number if they need to get in touch with me. Now to prepare for storms in the night...supposed to perhaps be a bit rough. Pretty calm and springlike at the moment. Still in the 60s. Nathan is at Elijah's scrimage game and he just reported in that it had rained there, but they took to the field anyway. I don't know the outcome of the game, but Elijah was the first batter and first pitcher for his team, North Middle School in Winchester. That's pretty special as he is new to the team this year, doesn't go to that school, as he is homeschooled...so pretty much new kid on the block. His love for the game shines through! Well, obviously Christmas didn't happen at our house today...guess we will wait a little longer...decorations will stay up a little longer...to be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment