Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Windy, Windy Day!

We started off this morning around 6:20 and stopped this evening around 6:30 in Grants, New Mexico. These are Eastern Time...but we are now on Mountain Time. Woody really wanted to continue on due to it still being early New Mexico time...but once the sun finally got out of our eyes it really got dark quickly. We drove 651 miles today. It started out quite chilly(very glad that I brought my fleece jacket!) and as we continued on down the road it got windier and windier. There were times when it was hard for Woody to open up his car door the wind was pushing so hard against it. We saw these windmills in Weatherford, OK...and they were turning when I took the picture. There were probably a couple hundred of these across the landscape...a very pretty site. We knew that the last Braums on this leg of the trip was in Amarillo, TX so we stopped for our lunch...exactly at noon. Woody had a banana shake this time and I had another chocolate malt. We stopped at a couple of interesting places today...one was at the Texas Welcome Center...very pretty overlook (good picture taking) plus there was quite a history of windmills and the area inside the center. The other place was in Groom, Texas. We had seen on several of our previous trips a huge cross just off the interstate. I had read about it and been sent an email about it...it is said to be the largest cross in the northern hemisphere. Around the cross are sculptures of the stations of the cross. Here is a link about the old Route 66 Groom,TX area:
We saw some of the other things mentioned in this link, too. It has been a nice day, but I was ready to stop when we did. Tomorrow's goal...the good Lord willin'...Glendale, AZ. Below is proof of how windy it was today. There were often warnings about cross winds.




1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe you ate in Amarillo -- where I was born, grew up, and buried my parents. You probably went right by my childhood church, my highschool and not that far from our house. I may even know the Braum's where you ate. Having seen the cross, I know how very large it really is. Wishing you continued safe and pleasant travels!

    ReplyDelete