Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Ahead of the Game!

At least I am attempting to stay ahead of the game. Today I made two more things that need to be done before our Thanksgiving feast. I made a special herb bread that is for dressing (we do bread rather than cornbread dressing...New England heritage). I found this recipe on a cooking website a couple of weeks ago and thought that it would be a good idea to try it. We are going away from prepackaged items and my recipe for dressing calls for packaged herb flavored bread crumbs. Last year I used our whole wheat bread and went from there attempting to add the correct amounts of herbs. And, it did taste pretty good. So when I found this yeast herb bread that was specifically made for dressing, I decided that I needed to try it. So I made two loaves today. Time will tell how it does in our dressing...really I guess our taste buds will be the judge on Saturday! After I got the bread rising, I got busy making condensed cream of chicken soup (trying to no longer use canned soups). Our Holiday Broccoli recipe calls for cream of chicken soup. This recipe has worked great when used in some of our soups as a base. I'm not sure how it will do as a sauce over broccoli. There are still a couple of things to add...so maybe then? For me it is a texture thing...not sure that I will like the texture of this by itself with not much more added. Guess we will find out unless I chicken out and end up using canned instead...a can still resides with our canned goods. Woody got the upstairs hallway all clear of all the Christmas boxes...what a job! I am very glad that it is done. This afternoon after they finished their school work till after Thanksgiving, the children came over and had a rousing game of Monopoly! Their cousin who is Abigail's age is visiting with them. I guess they are finding out what life will be like with seven! Their plumbing problem got solved this afternoon so they can once again have running water. I did run a load of dishes for them. Three meals was about the max they could go with nine people using dishes and not being able to wash them. I am still just croaking (and coughing). This evening I heard the door open and a voice say "hello." It was Graham, but I had to go downstairs in order for him to hear me. He had dragged our garbage can around to the front of the house and was coming in to help me empty our waste baskets. Woody had already left to walk to the church for his time in the prayer room. So I gladly gathered up our trash and let him take it out to our garbage can and then he rolled it to the curb. Now I am ready to rest for a while! Today I made a list dividing up the food preparations that need to be done between now and Saturday. Each day has at least one task...and as we get closer to Saturday the list gets longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment