Thursday, November 14, 2013

Decorating = Science?!?

Christmas decorating got underway pretty soon after I got up this morning. About the time that I was attacking the first box of the day, a friendly little voice came in the door. It was Elijah and he told me he wanted to help decorate. All right! Not long after that Esther joined him. And the three of us really worked hard all morning opening up boxes and finding lots of snowmen, trees, etc. Lots of trips up and down the stairs getting boxes out of the Christmas closet. At one point in the morning, they did take a break and made some muffins with Goosey (compensation for all their work!). We really got a lot done including the little bookshelf at the top of the stairs that is designated children's decorations. Esther and Elijah had more fun putting the things just the way they wanted them. Then they helped put close to fifty tiny cross stitch ornaments on the little tree that I display the Beyer's Christmas Carolers with. They almost got that job finished, but got called home for lunch. After lunch Abigail joined me and we got all of the Beyer's Carolers out of their boxes and placed on their shelf, table, etc. Several still have to be arranged, but at least they are all out of their boxes. Not long after we got the carolers out, Graham, Joy, Esther, and Elijah joined us and they got out the Fisher Price Nativity (tonight's photo). Now for the explanation for the title of tonight's blog. Esther and Elijah had turned on one of the Christmas music boxes and the sound was rather faint. So I told them to put it on the desk and then the sound got louder. I then told them about the desk top acting like a sounding board. Then a little later, we found an ornament that is a prism. So we had to find a sunny window and then we made rainbows--and I did a simple explanation about the colors being separated out of the sunlight. Anyway...we had a fun productive day decorating and added in a bit of science along the way. Kathy came over and got the children so they could go outside and enjoy a pretty afternoon and do a bit of raking, unpacking their RV, etc. I then got underway with our supper. Not long after they left, Esther came in all excited and wanted me to come see her "new" bike (she explained that it was new to her...that it had been Joy's)...nice the way bikes can be handed down according to the size needed! Anyway, it is larger than the bike that she had learned on and she wanted to show me that she could ride it. I had to go find my camera and off I went to capture a moment! I ended up catching a couple of moments as while I was out there, Kathy got Elijah started off on the smaller bike that Esther had learned on and off he went on his own! It looks like he may be the youngest to learn to ride a two-wheeler. He did quite well considering that he really didn't know how to stop, etc. He ran into a couple of bushes, but managed to not run into the side of our house or our car! He was so excited! It's so fun to be able to share these special moments with the grandchildren! Nice to be in the kitchen and just have to walk out to the front yard and be a part of these firsts! Woody took a four-mile walk this afternoon, while I got our dinner into the oven. I made a pot roast in the oven...most of the time. when we infrequently have a pot roast, I make it in the crock pot. But, today, when I thought of doing it, it was too late to cook it for hours and hours in the crock pot so this took less time and it ended up being very good. I cooked carrots, potatoes and onions with it and then made gravy after the meat was done. Pretty good! I should probably do something for Christmas...like sit in the sewing room and sew out some Christmas ornaments...but, my steam has run out. About the only thing that I think that I have energy left to do is go sit in my recliner and perhaps read...that is unless I end up falling asleep (which I did after sitting down after supper before I came in to blog). Well, whatever, I think that I won't be accomplishing anything much towards Christmas the rest of the evening. As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment