Thursday, November 20, 2014

Knit One, Quilt Too

Some may think that I am confused when it comes to tonight's title...most would put "purl two" rather than "quilt too" in the saying.  But today Joy was knitting and I was quilting so I took liberty to change the saying.  My Cottey College suitemates would identify with the knitting saying...as we had a little ditty that we would say: "Knit one, purl two, Beardsley, Yoo hoo!"  Beardsley was our suite's name.  One of our suitemate's parents owned a knitting shop...and at one point most of us in the suite were knitting...thus the saying was born.  There...a little trivial, silly background info on me...and, the reason why I came up with tonight's blog title!

Joy joined us bright and early this morning...she wasn't feeling all that great and her family had a couple of school programs to do today in Franklin, TN.  She just stayed quiet all day...but that is our Joy...a very quiet little girl.  I think that she had a good time.  First she knit (she just learned to knit yesterday), then she played for a while on my iPad.  She likes the brain teaser puzzles...ones that you have to move certain shaped pieces into another shape...anyway...she is quite good at it and thinks very analytically as she is doing them.  Then she did art work in the school room...we got out the oil pastels and she made a very pretty mountain scene.  After a light lunch of a smoothy that Goosey (Woody) made for us and some crackers and applesauce, she decided to watch a DVD movie...I brought out the choices that I thought that she would like and she chose Mary Poppins...she had never seen it before...or if she had she didn't remember.  She really enjoyed it.  I would hear little giggles every so often.  After the movie she knit for a while and then went back into the school room and got out some of the Montessori equipment and enjoyed making patterns with the bead stair beads and a couple of other things.  Then she got the crayons down and made a really nice forrest picture...which included a turkey.  At that point her family was home and she packed up her knitting and her gatorade and applesauce and headed home with her drawings in hand.

While Joy was doing all her activities, I got Isaac's quilt ready to be quilted. That took awhile to get the layers all flat and smooth and then to pin the layers all together making a "quilt sandwich".  After that, I got underway quilting it. Just before blogging I completed the second square...there are twelve large squares making up the center portion of the quilt...so a ways to go plus have the edges to quilt also...so it will take a while...it is taking a toll on my shoulders, neck and back...not easy pushing all those layers through the machine over and over again.  I'm just thankful that it isn't large quilt...this is just one that is big enough for a little one to cuddle up under to take a nap or keep warm while curled up on a couch watching TV.

Woody's walk today included the library and a successful attempt to get the book that Joy and I are reading back.  I thought that we might read some today, but the day got filled up with other things.  I made a pot of chili for our supper. Supper is over and I am about over for this day too...the recliner is calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment