Tuesday, March 9, 2010

E-I-E-I-O

I thought that I had better post a picture of the finished quilt so you could see what I have been telling you that I have been working on for so many months. At last, Esther-Noel will be getting her Christmas present! I plan to give it to her tomorrow. One of my accomplishments today was to take pictures of it. I try to take pictures of everything that I make...that comprises quite a large folder of pictures on my laptop. This quilt is all machine done (except for attaching the binding to the back of the quilt which I did by hand)...the designs and many of the quilting motifs are machine embroidery...the animal designs were downloaded off the internet onto my laptop and then transferred to my sewing machine. The quilting designs are part of the designs that are "in" my sewing machine...but I manipulated those with software on my laptop to make them go around the blocks the way I wanted them to go. Quilting methods have definitely changed over the years...I'm sure that, when our mothers and grandmothers lovingly handstitched every stitch on a quilt...both in the piecing and in the quilting, they would never have dreamed that a quilt would eventually be made the way I just made this one. It is amazing what today's computerized sewing machines can do. But...Woody suggests that be my last quilt...and I think that may be a very good idea! Quilting just isn't "my thing!" I want to get back to making garments...they don't take as long! Esther's E-I-E-I-O quilt will cover the top of a twin mattress and drop over the sides about six inches. She sleeps in the trundle drawer of a bunk bed...so this will cover the mattress and tuck down inside the drawer. Anyway...it's done. I will be glad to hand it to a curly headed, smiling girl tomorrow. When she saw it over the weekend, she said, "that's mine" and reached out to touch it.

Woody got up early, went to work, worked, walked at lunch, worked some more, and came home to rest and relax. We got an email yesterday evening from Woody's research nurse with times for the screening tests on March 22nd. It looks like it will be a very long day since she wasn't able to schedule any of the tests till afternoon. She has them scheduled anywhere from forty-five minutes to an hour apart. Now...I'm sure that all will be on schedule...ha! ha! His last scheduled scan is for 5:30pm. I'll bet we will be coming home VERY late that night...but we will see. Woody did tell me a couple of days ago that the Aleve is starting to help control his pain...at least the pain isn't as strong as it had been now that he is taking Aleve over a 24-hour time period.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: