Friday, March 5, 2010

Respite day 4 = Getting the ball rolling!

I was already up when Woody got up this morning and he asked what the next step was for the Vanderbilt study. I asked him if he was sure that he wanted to do this study and he said "yes." So the next step was to email the research nurse. I emailed her at 6:10am that he wanted to sign the consent form and proceed with the drug study. She emailed me back at 6:20am to say that she would start setting up the screening tests. I emailed her that we would like to sign the papers and have the tests on the same day if possible. Her comment was that it would be possible, but that it would make for a long day. Ummmmmm...been there done those long days at Vandy...what's one more, especially when it makes for one less trip?! She later emailed back and said that she was checking to see if last week's scan could be used for the new study. She emailed me a short while ago and said that the scan could be used as long as it fell within 28 days of starting the study (all scans, lab work, etc. have to be done no more than 28 days prior to starting). So if they are going to use last week's scans, then we will be underway in less than three weeks (that is if he passes the screening tests). She is to get back with us on Monday. She is thrilled that I communicate with email...she says that it makes it so much easier. One of the questions that I asked her was whether Dr. Sosman would still be Woody's doctor during this study and he will be. The reason that I asked is that this study is Dr. Pusanov's "baby." There will be about 430 people taking part in this study...about 15 at Vanderbilt. The drug company sponsoring this study is BioVex Inc.

This study is an unblind study. Two drugs are being compared to each other. Two-thirds of the patients will receive the study drug and 1/3 will receive the comparison drug. So this time we will know what Woody is getting. It's like a flip of the coin as to which he will get. The research nurse said that the computer will decide. The study drug is Oncovex (Dr. Sosman said to think of it as standing for: Oncology Vaccine). It is a virus that will be injected directly into subcutaneous melanoma spots. The other is GMC-SF and that drug is administered with shots into the stomach (which either Woody or I will be giving after the research nurse administers the first injection). Here is a funny aside about the latter...I told Woody that I couldn't give him the shots...and he said "but you know that I have to close my eyes when I get a shot!" We won't worry about who is giving the shots till he gets that side of the coin! I'm sure that I can give them...BUT...I guess he doesn't realize that if someone else is getting a shot...that I shut my eyes! A case of the blind leading the blind!
I have read quite a bit today about Oncovex and this study...and it looks very promising in treating Melanoma. I "want" to say to pray for him to get picked for that option...but I won't be that specific...as only God knows which of the treatments Woody needs. Please be praying for God's Will as we step into this next phase of Woody's treatments.
Woody got up early, headed to work, worked, walked at lunch, worked some more, and then has come home to rest and relax. I quilted most of the day (and emailed with the research nurse!).

No comments:

Post a Comment