Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to School!

At least it was "back to school" for Woody and me today. The grandchildren have been back to school for quite a few weeks now. This morning Woody got up early and went for a walk, but he only walked around the block. He has decided (with much applause from me) that he probably shouldn't tax himself at this time on his walks...just walk to get some exercise. I baked the cookies that I had made the dough for last night. After I finished baking the cookies, Woody showered, and then I changed his dressing and flushed his lines. Then I got ready to run an errand. Just as I was about to leave, Kathy called to see if one of us could listen to Abigail read. So Abigail came over and read out of her school reader to Goosey (Woody), and I headed off to run my errand. When I got back, it was Esther's turn to come over to have her time of preschool with me. Then it was time for me to fix lunch. I tried out another new recipe. This recipe had quite a few steps so it took me some time to get it together. It was a really good "fancy" submarine sandwich...I made a red pepper sauce (first time that I had roasted red peppers), I put the sauce on and then piled on chicken, tomato slices, crispy bacon, and avocado slices. It was really good...but a bit too much work...and the dishes!!!!!!! After lunch, and before dishes, I had Joy come over to work on her reading. She came with Graham in tow (he was going to build with K'nex...but ended up coming upstairs and working with some of the Montessori equipment). Just as Joy was finishing reading her phonetic words to me, all the rest of her siblings and her mommy showed up. Abigail wanted to show me the hat that they had attached orange yarn braids to make an Anne of Green Gables hat...they just needed some green ribbon. So we headed into the sewing room to see if Grammy had green ribbon in her ribbon stash. We did find some, so Mommy, Abigail, Esther, and Elijah went back home. But Joy stayed to work with some more things in the school room/office. And, Graham decided to do a little sewing by hand. He decided that his special stuffed lamb, Fluffles, needed a hat. When he came downstairs, he read a chapter out of a school book to me. Woody was really impressed with his reading. While he was reading, Joy decided to go home. And, a little while after Graham finished reading, he also decided to head home...but he cleaned up his sewing area first. He also helped Woody put batteries in the wireless mouse that goes with the laptop.

At that point I was ready for a rest and Woody sent me upstairs to do just that! Well, rest I did...I ended up taking about a two-hour nap. After awakening I went downstairs and got the lunch mess cleaned up. Woody has gone to church for the Monday night prayer time. Woody has been going through some papers today and organizing them. So we have all had a pretty busy day. Woody also finished reading a book today.

Tonight's picture is one that I took on one of our walks...it is a cute playhouse in a backyard in a near-by neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment