Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Which style do you prefer?

Guess what Woody let the nurse do this morning! The top left picture is how he greeted me upon my arrival at the hospital today. Then he started trying on the hats that Alex and Graham had given him. Alex gave him the St. Louis Cardinal cap. Graham crocheted him the hat in the bottom picture. Personally I think that he looks great all three ways!

Woody did spend a couple of hours connected to an IV, as he had to have more red blood cells today. Once that was done Woody was pretty much an ideal patient for a nurse for the rest of the day (not much to be done to or for him!).

BIG News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The doctors said that Woody could go home tomorrow (Wed.)! So the day was spent getting him an airline ticket (NIH arranges for and pays for his) and then getting me a ticket for the same flight (I have to arrange and pay for mine). I came back to the lodge to use one of their guest computers and printers and printed out our boarding passes. Woody's isn't a boarding pass, but a security document...maybe because of the request for a wheel chair? Then supplies had to be gathered...one of the nurses had already gotten most of the things that we will need...but then I went over all the things that I have to do to dress the Hickman line and realized that we needed several other items. I had to go to the NIH pharmacy to pick up two prescriptions for him and also the heparin syringes that have to be used to flush the Hickman line. I practiced flushing his Hickman line and changing the dressing. I got Woody's suitcase packed this evening before I left to go back to the lodge. I am now back at the lodge. After I blog, I will be getting my suitcase packed.

I did ask for a wheel chair for Woody at the airport. Even though he is feeling pretty good, he doesn't need to tax his strength walking through the Baltimore/Washington International airport.

We have to catch the 10am shuttle to BWI airport. It's about a 45min. to 1 hour ride to the airport. Our flight leaves at 2:10pm (eastern time). We will be back in Nashville around 3pm (central time). After Melany finishes her school day, she will come pick us up and take us home.

So, if all goes as planned, I will be blogging from home tomorrow night...that is, as Woody says, "the good Lord willin'."

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. So happy you are heading home! Wishes for a safe and comfortable flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lois! Tell Woody that I like his ball cap - but that I like that he gets to go home today even more! Lots of hugs from across the pond!!!

    Nance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois, that's great news! I know you are both happy to be back home. Yes, he looks handsome in all three pictures!

    Cactus

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to read that you're on your way home!!! Praying constantly for Woody and you. BTW, Woody does look good all 3 ways!!!

    Nancy (grammynan)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lois I'm so glad you and Woody got to go home. Continued prayers for you both. Hugs <3 MM

    ReplyDelete