Monday, August 9, 2010

Neutropenic No More!

When Woody's lab reports came in this morning...the neutrophil absolute level had risen enough to make him no longer neutropenic. If he stays at that level or higher then going home will start to be considered. Not being neutropenic isn't the only thing that the doctors are looking at that will allow him to go home. Now what is stopping him is his platelet count. They still aren't rising...yesterday they were up a bit...but he had received platelets the day before. Today the platelet count was lower than yesterday and the doctor did mention that he might have to have more platelets to boost what he has. The platelets are usually the last to recover after this type of procedure. His WBC is rising (good!), his RBC fell slightly from yesterday. So still lots of ups and downs in his recovery. Looking at things as they are today, the doctor said that perhaps he might be able to leave the hospital Wednesday or Thursday...time will tell...or as Woody would say, "The good Lord willin'." For the nurses and others interested: Neutrophil Absolute: 2.14 [1.78-5.38]; WBC: 3.45 [4.23-9.07]; RBC: 2.86 [4.63-6.08]; platelet count 22 [161-347]. The brackets are the range that the counts should fall in.

Woody definitely has felt better today than he has in some time. He said that he was able to sleep 8 hours (in snatches) last night. He got up early and did laps around the unit that totalled 1 mile...then before I left tonight we walked laps that equaled 1/2 mile. He doesn't have to wear a mask when he goes out of the room now. He ate better today, too...he's still not thrilled with food...but today he managed to eat well at all three meals. And, he did say that some things tasted better today than they have lately.

He entered the hospital three weeks ago today.

4 comments:

  1. What does doing a cartwheel sound like?! I just did one for you. Congratulations on such a good report...keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First...Woody wants to know if you can still do cartwheels.

    Secondly...Woody hopes that if you can that you had your bloomers on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for awhile now. I'm not a nurse but unfortunately I do understand the numbers that you post. I am a cancer survivor. I wish you both the best and you are daily in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lois! Tell Woody that I can still do a cartwheel! 2 years ago at TKD I was part of the Demo team (dont ask - they really only wanted Joe and Kate and I must have been part of the package deal - I was the only adult on the team) Well - one of the things Master An wanted all of us to do was to come out and do a cartwheel - one after the other... I hadnt done one in 20 years and was a little nervous about what would happen... but it must be like riding a bicycle - cause I had one of the best in the group - lol! Now I make sure I do one at least once a month so I dont get caught off guard at TKD!!! And if Woody would like - I will do them in honor of him from now on!!! And of course I keep my bloomers on - seriously now...
    Nance

    ReplyDelete