Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Foggy Morn!

I woke up super early (like a little after 3) this morning...even before Woody. Last night Woody decided that we would fly when we go back to NIH in two weeks...so I had the planning of that trip on my mind and couldn't get back to sleep once I started thinking about getting arrangements underway. I was trying to figure out the sequence that things needed to be done to get the ball rolling. I finally decided that I needed to get in touch with the research nurse first. She has to send in the travel requests to the travel office that they use. After I sent her an email, then Woody and I went on a walk. Today we ventured over into the next subdivision and then wended our way back. I took several pictures...as you can see in the above picture it was rather foggy off in the distance. It was very humid. At first I didn't think that I would be able to get any pictures as I couldn't keep the camera lens from fogging up. After we came home, I put together lunch and got it in the oven, as it needed to cook for several hours. Then Woody showered and then I changed the dressing and flushed the Hickman lines. I was meeting friends for lunch so we could plan a bridal party. About a half-hour before I was to leave, I received a call from an NIH travel agent. The travel agent had received the approval from the research nurse for our travels so he was ready to make Woody's plane reservations. In all my thinking early this morning, we ended up coming to the conclusion that we would have to go a day before the first appointment and leave the day after the last appointment. Scheduling shuttles and flights on the same day as the appointments was just going to cut it too close. I had looked up flight times and shuttle times in the wee hours of the morning, so that helped when I started discussing times of flights with the travel agent. We decided on both the flights...going and coming...so the travel agent hung up to call the airlines to make Woody's reservations. As soon as he got Woody's tickets, he emailed me with the exact flight information. I didn't want to leave for the restaurant till I had my tickets too. So I pulled up the Southwest site on the computer and had the flights all checked that we had discussed on the phone so that when Woody's flights were confirmed I was able to quickly book mine. We are on the same flight and we saved a bit by me booking my tickets online. And...I was only about 10 minutes late for lunch!

Then when I came home from lunch, I contacted a hotel that we had stayed at before...one that has special rates for NIH patients and a shuttle to and from NIH. I managed to get the NIH rate for all three nights.

We will be flying out of Nashville on Tuesday, August 31, and returning on September 3. He has appointments on September 1 for labs, MRI, and scans. Then on Sept. 2, he will have apheresis and meet with the doctor. The doctor will (hopefully!) take out the Hickman line at that time.

Woody attempted to do a bit of work in the yard today...picking up the multitude of sticks that have come down in our recent storms and do a bit of raking...but the weather didn't cooperate with him very well. It has drizzled off and on all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment