Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Keeping a cool head?

Today, when Woody went to the Credit Union, as always he had to show his photo ID. It was the first time that he had used his driver's license for ID since he lost his hair. When he handed it to the teller, he said I used to have hair. She asked him if he had shaved his head to keep it cool for the summer. He laughed and then explained that he had been on chemo and lost his hair.

When Woody saw Esther (3-year-old) for the first time after we got home from NIH and she and her family got home from their trip, he said "there's that girl who I think cut my hair!" She just laughed and said that she hadn't...and started to say that one of her sisters had (as both her sisters have done chop jobs on their or others hair in the past)...then she realized that he was teasing...and she looked at me and said "he just says (with a long "a") that!" and laughs some more. I then told her how Goosey got his hair cut...that a nurse took clippers and cut his hair off. So now when he says, "there's that girl who I think cut my hair!" She says, "no a nurse did." And, then he tells her that she sure does look like that nurse. She laughs and then looks at me and says, "he's just teasing!"
Tonight at church, I was talking with some friends. They were asking about Woody and commenting on his new do. One of the men said that he looks like Mr. Clean!
So there you have a few of the "no hair" laughs we've had lately.
Woody and I both got up very early. He didn't go on a walk as he had several errands to run again today and decided that would be enough exercise for today. After he showered, I changed the dressing and flushed the lines. Later in the morning, he ran his errands. Then came home to rest, read, and relax (his three R's these days). I had school with Esther and Joy. Then later in the afternoon, Woody helped Abigail with her reading and I helped Graham with his English.
Tomorrow I will be getting up very early and heading to Nashville to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital with Nathan and Abigail (6 1/2). Abigail is having a permanent tube put in one her ears.
I will close tonight with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our oldest granddaughter, Erin Elizabeth. She turned 17 today. Happy birthday, Erin!

No comments:

Post a Comment