Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Beautiful Day to Garden!

Woody got up early and worked in the yard before Melany, Wade, Erin & Alex (our garden crew!) arrived. I got up and made spaghetti sauce. When the garden crew arrived, Alex and Erin set to work removing a stump (which they accomplished...new rose bush is now where the stump once was). Wade, Melany and I headed off plant shopping...oh, my...one could really go wild when it comes to buying pretty bedding plants. We had a good time at three gardening stores and came home with quite a variety. It was time for lunch when I got home...so Melany and Wade placed plants where we would plant them and I went in to finish up lunch preparation. Erin had all the salad ingredients all cut up and ready, Woody had the water boiling for the pasta, and Erin was setting the table. We got the pasta cooking and then Erin and I set to work on our garlic cheese bread. Melany and Wade came in just as we were ready to sit down. We ate and then decided that we would plant for a while and then come in a little later for our cherry crisp and ice cream. I did a little planting and then decided that I would be better used if I went around and took the plants out of the containers and put them back in the spot where a hole needed to be dug. Melany and Wade did most of the digging and putting them in the ground. Just as we were finishing up the garden that we share with our neighbors (Nathan, Kathy & family), Erin rang the bell telling us that our dessert was ready. Wade stayed out and gave the new plants a drink before he came in for his dessert. After dessert we went back and finished planting in two other gardens and put some kitchen herbs in the barrels on the back patio and planted a pretty geranium and ivy in a pot that goes on the table on the front porch. Lots of work accomplished today. While we were away shopping for plants Erin and Alex also moved the last of trunk of a tree that had fallen while I was in AZ...heavy work. Woody told us that Alex had done enough work today for a week! Everyone worked hard today! The gardens are beautiful...now to watch all these small plants grow bigger! Here's hoping that we can keep them alive. We try hard, but Woody and I are not known for our green thumbs! I watered them again this evening...all looked happy when I came inside!




We were relaxing on the front porch after finishing the gardens when the neighbors returned (convenient timing?) from a ministry in Murfreesboro (Melany and Wade's hometown). I was glad that they got home before Melany and family went home. After visiting for a while and before Melany and family left, we took one more walk around the house to look at all the gardens. Tonight's picture is of a new flower in the garden...one we haven't had before...a wishbone flower.



Woody told me today that I neglected to tell in last night's blog that he had taken a ten-mile walk early yesterday morning. I neglected to tell because I didn't know. He said that I didn't know because I was sleeping! Sounds like a good reason to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment