Thursday, August 25, 2011

Years Passing By!

Eighteen years ago today Woody and I became grandparents. Our first grandchild, Erin Elizabeth Proctor, made her entrance into the world. I will always remember the surprising phone call that I received at the church that Wednesday. We didn't even know that Melany had gone to the hospital and there was Wade's and Melany's sister-in-law calling to get in touch with us to let us know that Erin was born! Melany had to have an emergency c-section as Erin was in distress. I can still remember walking out to the side yard at the church where Woody and his RA boys were playing a game. I told Woody that he was a grandfather and it took a bit for it to sink in as to just what I had said to him! I would say that you can look at our pictures and see that it was 18 years ago...a lot of changes...lots more grandchildren...lots more gray hair (especially for me...but Woody is finally getting a bit of gray)...no glasses (I was wearing contacts then and Woody hadn't started to wear glasses to read), etc. Tonight's picture came from Erin's scrapbook...I just snapped a picture of the page...so not the best but tells a story! It is so hard to believe that Erin is 18 and getting ready to head off to college. She will be attending East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, TN and will be moving in sometime in the next few days. We are really proud of all she has accomplished so far in her life and look forward to seeing what she will do in the future. I called Erin this afternoon to wish her a happy birthday. I asked her if she had registered to vote yet! Oh, my...it just doesn't seem possible that we have an adult granddaughter!!!!! Makes me feel old...as does looking at the above picture of myself!

Today was a "normal" school day for me. Today's lessons included Elijah, Esther, Joy, and Abigail. Abigail added a page about seams to her sewing notebook, learned how to sew an accurate seam, and sewed some examples to add to the page. Woody got up early and walked his four-mile route. He has also been watering some of our plants. They were emptying the swimming pool next door so he filled and emptied a large watering can multiple times (definitely a way to get a bit more exercise!). I'm sure the plants that were the recipients of the water appreciated it as it is very hot and very dry. After lunch Graham came over needing gas for the lawn mower. Woody assisted him and then kept half an eye on Graham while he mowed their lot that is behind ours. It's a nice big open space except for some blueberry bushes and Woody helped him mow around those. Graham did a great job. (I can't believe that he is old enough to be out there mowing, either! Grandchildren do tend to grow up!) A little while ago there was a knock on the door. It was Esther and Elijah needing a stick of butter. (We call each other's homes "a store." If we don't have something...perhaps they do and if they don't have it perhaps we do! Saves on gas to pick up just one item at the store!) Then a little bit later Joy and Elijah knocked and they had a plate of cookies to share with us...Eskimo Cookies...definitely a memory for me...they are a no-bake cookie. The recipe dates back to my Girl Scout days!

I will end by wishing Erin Elizabeth a BIG Happy Birthday!!!!! Happy 18th, Erin!

No comments:

Post a Comment