Saturday, October 28, 2017

Changed Hats!

Yesterday was all about sewing for me and today I changed over to my chef's hat and cooked for most of the day.  I made our pork pulled barbecue recipe that has to cook for a long time on top of the stove and I spent most of the afternoon skimming and spooning fat off the cooking meat.  Other than the cooking, what takes the longest is cutting the meat off the bone.  I had quit cutting it off the last few times we made it and just cooked the whole roast and pulled it away from the bone as it cooked.  I decided to go back to cutting it off the bone first because I now have a boning knife...and that knife definitely made the job much easier...but it still took a while.  I spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen because I needed to periodically spoon off the fat that rose to the surface.  Since I cut the meat off the bone I also took time to trim away a lot of the fat...so there was a lot less than when I cook the whole thing still on the bone.  Anyway, we have some good barbecue sandwich eating ahead of us!

After coming upstairs, I rested for a while...finished the book I was reading and then got back to work on finalizing the Sunday School lesson for tomorrow.

Today has been a very chilly day...I don't think that it ever made it out of the 40's.  Woody went to the public library this morning for his usual Saturday visit.  He waited and waited hoping that the temperatures would go up but they stayed at 43 for the longest time. He finally decided that he would go on with his walk...disciplined!  If it had been me I would have skipped the walk for today...besides the cool temperature it was also windy...so felt colder than it was.  By the time he got back the temperature had risen to 45...so guess he ended up walking at the warmest part of the day.  We have been given another Frost Alert for in the early hours of the morning.  We'll have to wait and see if the frost is on the pumpkin in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment