Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Celebrating Being 5 and Good News!

Look who is now five!  Joseph came over to our house to celebrate with family gifts and then later celebrated with some of his friends.  I think that he has had a pretty special day!

Our day was a bit confusing.  It started out with an early PT appointment for Woody.  While he was having PT and while I waited for Isaac to come over to read, I put in a call to the infusion company.  We needed to know how much of the antibiotic to give Woody today.  He had been only having a half-hour infusion for the last three days...but we weren't told what to do starting today.  I ended up having to call them again when they didn't return my call.  The second time they connected me with a pharmacist.  She said to go back to an hour infusion.  We needed to start 30 minutes early because I had to leave for my hair appointment before 1pm...so had to get him disconnected before I left.  Right after I got his infusion going, Joseph and his family came over for him to open family presents.  Woody had planned to join us in the living room, but just as they started coming in the house, I got a call from the home health nurse and she was on the way...we weren't expecting her till tomorrow.  I guess she had been asked to come a day early so they could decide how much antibiotic to give him.  But...she has to do a blood draw 30 minutes before he has his infusion...well, we had no idea so the infusion was already started.  She did stop by, but she had it cleared to come back tomorrow.  She is supposed to be here early so we can get the infusion going in time for him to leave for a 1:15pm appointment here in town.  I had given both the nurses and the PT folk our doctor appointments for this week.  But I guess only Wednesday registered with the nurse.

So in the end we brought all Joseph's gifts into the family room so Woody didn't have to move.  I got off on time for my haircut and Woody got off in time for his appointment with the nephrologist.

The appointment with the nephrologist is where the "good news" comes in.  The nephrologist is very pleased with the direction Woody's kidneys are taking...their percentage of function has continued to rise...a very good thing.  Dr. O. thinks that there is a good possibility that Woody had an infection in his kidneys that went undetected and that was bringing his kidney function down.  Since Woody is on these three strong antibiotics, Dr. O. thinks that one, two or all of them have worked on that infection and that is the reason that his kidney function percentage is rising!  Whatever the reason it was good news to hear!

I will end with wishing a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our sweet JoJo!

No comments:

Post a Comment