Friday, January 4, 2019

Reading the Board!



Our main job of the day was to watch the board while the surgeon and her team did the work!  We got here at 8am.  By 9 they called him back to the holding room to get ready for surgery.  About 10:15am
he was wheeled off to the operating room.  And, I went back to the waiting room to join Melany.  They told me that it could take as long as five hours.  But in the end I would say that he was in the operating room about maybe a little less than 4 hours.  He stayed in the recovery room for about two




hours.  And, by a little after 5 he was in his room.  He has already been brought a meal, but brought him a regular diet.  He has eaten what he could...green beans, some lettuce.  He tried to eat the roll but it was inedible...and, it really was.  He gave me a piece of it and it was just something that you chew and chew and it doesn't go away! They are supposed to bring him another food tray with a renal diet.  So maybe he will have a bedtime snack.  Melany ate his salmon (I'm allergic to salmon so stayed really far away from that plate!) and I ate his chocolate cake!

Okay...what was done.  In the end Dr. Holt did remove the old hardware and out in a larger, hopefully, stronger one.  She didn't try to put a plate on the other side due to the skin being so thin due to the radiation.  She says that she doesn't know how long it will be until it fails.  Some of his bone is still
very damaged by the radiation and thus not all that strong.  She says when this new hardware breaks down it will mean replacing the tibia.  Hope that is long time away!  He is in some pain and did take

something for pain a little while ago at the encouragement of the nurse. He avoids pain medicine like the plague...but he has been convinced, for the moment, that it will help him heal to not be in extreme pain.  We'll see how he does tonight.  Usually the first night here at the hospital isn't an easy one.  He is distracting himself at the moment by watching the PBS six o'clock news.  Melany is still here.  She is waiting out the Nashville rush hour.  I imagine that she will head home shortly.  I really appreciated her company today.  She helped me lug around our trappings that I brought along.

I don't know how long he will be here.  The doctor indicated that he might go home tomorrow, but I rather doubt it.  I know that he isn't ready tonight.  I told him that at first I thought that she was indicating that he could go home tonight.  He said no way was he ready to go home!


Graham (almost 17) had oral surgery today to remove his wisdom teeth.  He also did well.  Last I
heard he was having some jello.

Nathan got an 8-point buck last night...his biggest deer since living in TN.  I don't know where he got this inner hunter...not from Woody or me!  He also has a very weak stomach...but he can "process" the deer.  He says he can do it because he is providing meat for his family!

More to come about Woody's recovery!  Praising God for seeing Woody and his medical team through one more adventure in his journey of beating cancer!




No comments:

Post a Comment