Friday, July 10, 2020

Who Were Those Masked Visitors?

For some reason today has seemed like Saturday all day long. When I stopped to take my before supper medicine, I opened that Saturday opening and then realized that it was really Friday. I guess all this staying at home has my brain totally confused as to what day it is...guess three plus months mainly at home has turned each day closer and closer to being the same. While it was cool in the early morning, I went outside and watered the patio herb/veggie/flower planters. I knew that it is supposed to be very hot for the next several days on into next week. So I want to keep on top of keeping the plants well watered. I harvested a few more grape tomatoes. Then I cleaned up the front porch...vacuumed off the pillows...ridding them of kitty fur! I fixed breakfast for Woody and me. Woody usually fixes his own breakfast, but today I was around and he hadn't had breakfast yet so I made French toast. Before 10am Woody left to run errands with his friend and he didn't return until after 2pm. Not long after he left, I got a call from the public library that a book that I had put on hold was ready for me to pick up. I set a time to get it. Then worked on getting the ingredients out to make zucchini bread. I was going to try a new recipe...chocolate zucchini bread. But Woody said that he would eat some zucchini bread if I made it so I switched back to our tried-and-true zucchini bread recipe (Woody doesn't like chocolate)...adding some of Nathan and Kathy's fresh blueberries. By the time I got everything ready, it was time to go pick up the book at the library. When I got back, I put all the ingredients together and popped them into the oven to bake for 1-1/2 hours. They came out of the oven about the time that our masked visitors arrived and Woody got back from running errands. Our visitors were Doyle and Linda Hasty. They stopped by to pick up a special order cake/cheese cake from Abigail and visited over here with us for a while before they headed off with their speciality strawberry cake/cheesecake and some zucchini bread. I understand that the blog picture of Elijah's birthday cake sold them on ordering a cake from Abigail for Doyle's birthday. Doyle and Woody sat on the front porch and talked and sipped fresh squeezed limeade. Linda and I decided to stay stayed inside where it was cool and sipped limeade and enjoyed a piece of warm from the oven zucchini bread and caught up with each other. it's the first time that we have visited in person for any length of time since we all began sheltering at home back in March. They had been by to drop off some things...but we called that just a drive-by visit! They brought us several boxes of books that Doyle had gotten at an estate sale...lots of cookbooks to peruse! I so far have looked at a cookbook with 500 meatball recipes in it and at the moment on my lap have a cookbook that just has potato recipes. After I look and capture some recipes, I will pass them next door for them to check out. The lady of the household must have loved to cook...or at least read about cooking! We are now settling in for another quiet Friday evening. I guess I need to start thinking about want I will need to get at the grocery store tomorrow...it's been two weeks since I went. I didn't think that I would like having such a long time between food shopping trips, but it is working out very well. I thought Melany and Erin were coming this weekend and I was able to come up with a meal even at this end of the two weeks. But in the end they aren't coming until next week...so whether that meal plan will still happen remains to be seen! But now it's time to start plans for being able to eat for the next two weeks! Most of the plans will depend on what is on the store shelves tomorrow...so part of the planning happens at the store! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment