Friday, December 2, 2022

Better Late Than Never!

See, I told you our tree is a memory tree! Look what is front and center in tonight's photo...a face mask ornament...the ornament that I made for gifts in 2020...definitely brings back vivid images of "The Pandemic." Now, to explain tonight's blog title! Last night after I published the blog, Melany called and I continued to sit at our dining room table where I had sat to blog. I was glad that Instayed there because about 8:30pm a vehicle with flashing lights pulled up to our driveway and proceded to pull all the way up the driveway...guess he saw the ramp and decided to take advantage of it. There was no explanation of the timing of said delivery nor did we ask. I figured he was just given the job and was fulfilling it...probably unaware of the time slot that we had been given. He brought all the boxes in in one load and put them where I asked and he was off. So, as the title says, "better late than never!" Woody decided last night that he wasn't up to all the appointments that he had for today and asked me to call this morning and reschedule his oncology appointment which I did. The appointment is changed for next Friday and as far as we know it is the only appointment on that day! I got it in the morning so it won't put dialysis off too far into the day. His appointment with his surgeon went well, though there was some confusion about that, too. When the doctor came in, he said that he didn't understand what he had been told he was to do. He thought it was repositioning a catheter! When we told him it was supposed to br an appointment to remove a catheter, he said that made lots more sense! He said that he needed us to move across the hall where he does inoffice procedures. We moved. Woody managed to climb up on the table and the procedure was shortly underway. It didn't take long. This is the 2nd catheter of this kind that Dr. Thomason had removed. Woody said that he didn't remember it hurting the last time he removed one. But he made it through. We got home and immediately got things ready for his dialysis. The numbing cream has to be on his arm at least an hour so I got that on and wrapped that area of his arm in plastic wrap while he was still in his wheelchair. Then we headed to the scale and I got his weight...only then did I have him transfer from his wheelchair into the recliner so we could get him situated before dialysis time. I had done everything that can be done early before we left. I got his lunch. He ate while I did the last of thr setup. Once again, I can say that we prefer doing the treatment early and getting it over so we have some day left! It has been an awful lot of hours with "medical stuff" happening today! Once again, Woody woke up feeling fine, but during dialysis he felt sick and vomitted twice during the treatment...just an extra discomfort for him and an extra duty for me! I have contacted one of our nurses trying to figure out what is going on. I wondered if he might be sick due to being dehydrated. The nurse suggest that I give him a saline bolus or two during the treatment. We were already finished when she suggested this so we will try this tomorrow. She said that it wouldn't hurt and to do it whether he felt sick or not tomorrow...just to ser if it helps. Going back to the surgeon visit today...when we entered, there was one gentleman in the waiting room. I was concentrating on getting Woody in the door so didn't get a good look at him. We went up to the window to check in and the next thing I knew this gentleman was behind us saying "hi." Someone we know very well and hadn't seen in a while, but someone we had been praying for in prayer meeting. We sat for a while longer and a couple came out from having seen the doctor, and we also know them very well...again, hadn't seen them in a long time. We had been praying for them in prayer meeting, too! Only in a small town! Dialysis went very well. I will say that this was thr first day that I didn't break out in a sweat before, during, and after having to stick him with both needles! Maybe we will get a grasp on this process...at least most of the time...hopefully! The doctor mentioned the size needle that he was going to use on Woody to numb him...explained that the smaller the number the smaller the needle (It's opposite of that with cross stitch needles.). I then told him the number that we use for dialysis and he said that it was a definitely large one! And, we are using a bit smaller needle than most use for dialysis! Folks, it is big! Well, I need to go back to finish cooking the breakfast sausage so I can put it in the freezer to use over the next weeks! 'Tis the season! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment