Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Reflections From Vanderbilt

Look closely at tonight's photo...reflections from our window and from the Vanderbilt building across the way. In this photo...there are several lifelines...there is a helicoptor that is on topnof our building reflected in the building across the way...lots of helicoptors fly in and out of here. My thoughts always turn to wondering about the individual who has been life-flighted to Vanderbilt...my prayers go out to them. Then you can see me taking the photo reflected in our window...life lines are behind me...Woody's bags of antibiotics and nutrition. If you look closely behind me, you can see Woody...with those life lines connected to him. It is pretty much a waiting game. He has had more waking hours today...but still not responding a lot. He did respond to one of his nurses this afternoon when the nurse said his name. I told him I loved him...he shook his head "no!" Oops...suppose he is mad at me for letting him be in this predicament?!? He responded to Melany and looked at her when she was talking to him...maybe, just maybe he is returning from that dark hole that anesthesia, etc. has put him in! Lots of doctors and their underlings (I call them ducklings because they follow in a line behind the doctor!)have been in to see us. They seem to have trouble understanding that Saturday pre test that he was just fine...himself...working his 4 daily crossword puzzles and interacting as he usually does with Melany and me. Then that one fateful trip for that one test that required a dose of morphine and he hasn't been the same since. Thursday they plan to do an upper GI to make sure that the hole they repaired in the duodenum isn't leaking. A doctor just told me that if his confusion wasn't better in a couple days, they would do a brain scan to make sure there's not another reason for confusion. he has stayed awake for a longer period of time this afternoon. He had dialysis this morning...and into the afternoon. Melany and I went exploring to find breakfast and see just where things are in the hospital. As many times as we have been here, I didn't know how to get to the food court. We found it...very easy to get to from here! Melany and I took turns sleeping last night. One stayed in the room with Woody and the other went to the family waiting room and slept in one of the comfy recliners in there. Woody's night nurse even gave me a warm blanket to cover up with. Melany found out that room was quite chilly. I shared my blanket with her when she went back for a nap...it wasn't still warm, but it was a cover. The nurse offered to get me a recliner last night and I declined. I told him that I wanted to wait to have one brought in till Woody was off for dialysis. So that addition to the room happened while we were out today. Since I have a recliner in the room, I told Melany that I will be fine staying here with Woody. She needs to ge t back to school for these chaotic last three days of school before her Christmas break! She'll come back towards the weekend and spell me for a while. oh, i think that I forgot to mention that the orthopedic team have come up with a brace for Woody's leg and when we saw him after surgery, he had it on. They have started giving him nutrition through his nose tube...very slowly at first to see if he will tolerate it. When they see if he does tollerate it then they will gradually inceease it until he is getting enough to sustain him, Still a long way to go in recovery...definitely a steep road ahead!To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment