Friday, May 27, 2011

We've Come Up In The World!


We now have our own yard boy and personal chef! Woody worked Alex pretty hard in the yard today and then Erin put in her time in the kitchen this evening. The front yard looks great...all sticks picked up and it's now newly mowed. After Alex got finished with picking up all the sticks...a big job after all the winds that we had the other night...he, Erin, and Goosey walked to Geeks to check on their game system they had left there yesterday. It was a free consultation..."the geek" checking it out had enjoyed playing games on it today! They now have it hooked up to the little TV in my sewing room and are playing on an old fashioned Nintendo...guess they are renewing their youth!



Abigail came over a little after 8 this morning to find that her older cousins weren't up and about yet...so we said that she could go wake them up. As she was heading up the stairs, Alex was coming down. So next was Erin in her room...she must have been waking up as she woke up very quickly and took her thyroid medication that she has to take in the mornings 1/2 hour before she eats. Alex made Erin and himself waffles for breakfast and then the morning began! Woody was trying to get the grocery list together. I'm struggling this time as I usually have menus all planned out well ahead of time and this time I don't...and it just isn't my mind set to work this way...but so far we have had food on the table for all meals! We were deciding on several recipes so we could put items needed on the list and I decided on something that I wanted Erin to make while she was here...macaroni and cheese...a recipe that I had tried when we took care of the three littlest neighbors earlier in the year. Well...do you think that I could find the recipe?! Of course not...I found another that I decided to try and told Woody that I would probably find the one that I wanted as soon as he left for the store (which I did!). Anyway, I came back downstairs, after searching in my Martha Stewart Living magazines and in the computer for recipes I have copied there, and walked into the kitchen and out popped a little neighbor who I hadn't known was over here...and then another...and another...it was funny...sort of like clowns piling out of the tiny car at the circus. They had come in quietly while I was looking for the recipe. At one point we had all the neighbors over here. I knew that Erin's new Apple computer would be a big draw...especially for Graham and Erin's Uncle Nathan (aka Graham's daddy)! This afternoon after Graham had watched Erin and Alex play a game on the computer for quite a while and asked them a million questions about it, Erin let Graham play the game all by himself...a very special privilege that he loved! I think that he may dream about game strategies tonight!



We tried a new recipe this evening...that should have set off the smoke alarms...but we got the doors opened quickly enough and a fan started to blow out the smoke. The recipe said to sear the meat on high in a cast iron skillet...well, high was a bit much...for the second piece of meat a little lower temperature was used and it worked very well. Alex stuck his head in the door and asked "What's Erin done!" We said..."just followed a recipe!" The meat was delicious...enjoyed by all and there is some left over to have in sandwiches.



In our leisure, brought on by our newly acquired help, Woody and I sat on the front porch in our glider love seat. Woody directed the yard work and I got out my tripod and took some close up pictures of a moth that posed very nicely on one of the porch rockers. He wasn't all that beautiful, but he allowed me to try out several different settings and several different lenses...let me see how close I could get to an object, etc. After taking probably more pictures than I will ever need of a little brown moth, I went out into our garden and took some close-ups capturing the beautiful colors of some of our flowers.



Melany called several hours ago on their layover in Chicago. They should be winging their way to Seattle as I type this. Tomorrow they will board their ship and start heading Alaska way.























No comments:

Post a Comment