Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Last Day of May!

I can't believe that May is just about over. The year is just flying by...time seems to do that lately...don't they say that when you get older the faster time flies? Oops...guess I'm getting older...hate to admit it...but I definitely feel like I am getting older!

Tonight's picture serves two purposes...well, maybe three. This is the ulu (knife like the native Alaskans use) that Nathan brought back to us when he spent the summer there as a Baptist Student Union missionary...many, many years ago (1992). Every time that I use it I mean to tell Nathan how much I enjoy it...especially for chopping up fresh herbs...so since he isn't usually around when I am using it, I usually forget to tell him the next time that I see him...so thought that this would be a time to let him know how much I do enjoy the gift that he brought us back from Alaska! And, I thought that it was appropriate as it is also a reminder (seeing Alaska on the blade) of where our daughter and son-in-law are as I type this blog! Today I used it chop fresh oregano for our pasta sauce that Erin and I made for tonight's supper and Erin has used it several times this week to chop up various fresh herbs from our garden. You just rock the blade over the herbs and change directions a couple of times and you have fresh herbs chopped perfectly. We tried a new recipe and it was voted as a keeper by all (well, not Alex...he didn't even try it...he just had some linguine with some fresh Parmesan cheese on it and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!). He missed out on some yummy eating! The sauce had sweet Italian sausage in it and some interesting herbs and spices along with a bit of orange zest...as Erin judged it a sweet sauce by what we put in it...nutmeg, cinnamon, and a pinch of sugar...it also had the fresh oregano and ground fennel. Interesting mix of flavors that really blended well in this tomato sauce. Our other cooking adventure of the day was making infused basil oil...let's just say "messy"...hope that it was worth the mess and that it tastes good drizzled on tomato slices and also in some of our cooking. We have an abundance of basil in one of our beds...so we decided to try using some of it in this infused oil.

Woody got up earlier than all the rest of us (not surprising). He did his four to five mile walk. Alex picked up sticks and mowed a section of our back yard. It's another very warm day...probably reached 95F again today. After lunch, Erin, Alex, Graham, Goosey, and I went to the library. Everyone got a book or two and Erin and Alex got several DVDs. We came home and Alex went upstairs and took a nap, Erin and I started making messes in the kitchen, Graham played on Erin's computer, and Woody read and napped. I did manage to lie down for about an hour to start a new book and dozed a bit. (I will admit to being tired!) Then Erin and I made supper. Woody has walked to the prayer room. When he gets back several of us are planning to have watermelon. A pretty packed last day of May!

No comments:

Post a Comment