Tuesday, August 27, 2013

An Introduction to the Past!

Today has been a busy one. Woody got up and made sweet potato waffles. Yum! Esther was the first to come over for her reading time. When I walked her back home, I discovered that Nathan was having trouble with their sewing machine (my old machine...so I help solve problems at times). I attempted to figure out what the problem was but couldn't at the time. Joy ended up missing her reading time because of the time spent on the sewing machine. With the machine problem still unsolved, Graham, Abigail, Joy, and Esther headed over to our house with me bringing up the rear! It was time for art. Today we started a project that they are really enjoying. We are making beads using paper...magazine, old book, and catalog pages are cut into long triangles and then rolled tightly onto a thin bamboo skewer. After they have enough beads they will make necklaces, bracelets, or whatever they dream to make up with them. The neat thing about this art project is that Kathy has a necklace made up of beads made from paper just like we are doing and that necklace was made in Uganda. So they were doing a craft that is done in Uganda. They really liked that idea! After art, I headed back and took another look at the sewing machine and figured out what the problem was...a very simple fix...but sometimes those are the hardest to see! I took Isaac back home with me because he had finished lunch and was about ready for his nap. I had lunch after Isaac's school time and rested for a couple of minutes and then called for Elijah to come over. He traced around wooden shapes and then cut them out and glued them onto another paper. He moved them around and made a really neat picture that looked like a fox's head...but he moved them to glue them down and that shape never appeared again! While he was doing his art project, I happened to catch a glimpse of the old Fisher Price record player and the records that are stored behind my storage tubs. We use these tubs for desks for our art so they had been pulled out and I could get easily to the record player. I realized that Elijah had never played records on it. So after he finished his gluing down the shapes for his art project, I pulled the records and player out...plugged it in and then showed him how to play a record...a lesson in the past! I rested for a short time after Elijah was finished and then attacked a church library task that took the rest of the afternoon and just finished it a few minutes ago. I'm also working on two book orders for the library. Just as I was starting the book "project," we heard a friendly knock on the door and the hand that knocked was holding two Wendy's sacks full of baby Frosties!!!!! Good treat! I got Woody's and mine out of the bag and then headed next door to give them theirs. They were quite pleased. They turned theirs into "Freezies"--Frosties put in the freezer to be eaten a bit later. They were getting ready to have supper and then head to church so they will be eating them when they get home...something to look forward to! While I was working on books, Woody fixed our squeaky front door hinge! Yay! Then he headed off to walk "slowly" to the church for his time in the prayer room. He has started in walking again. He does say that his sciatic pain is some better but not totally gone...yet...he is hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment