Friday, September 4, 2015

Raising the Rafters?

Or at least this rafter of wild turkeys are being raised off the land! We saw this large group (rafter) of turkeys on our way to Vanderbilt on Tuesday. I had to shoot across the car out Woody's side window...so not the best photos and I wasn't able to get all of them in one shot there were so many of them. I posted these on Facebook and one of my high school friends said that they would be just about fat enough by Thanksgiving...not being a hunter...I will settle very happily for a domesticated Tom when Thanksgiving rolls around. Though I imagine that some of this rafter might be the main event at someone's Thanksgiving. Woody got up and walked six miles this morning. I decided that today was the day to roast the red bell peppers that we had and also roast the first of our home grown pimentos. After I roasted them in the oven and got the skin off, I diced the pimento...just like it comes when in a jar and then froze it in the quantity needed for our potato salad recipe. The red bell peppers I left in large pieces and have it stored in the fridge covered in extra virgin olive oil...ready for my recipes that call for roasted red pepper. Woody continued to spray down the house. He also clipped some bushes and also trimmed some branches from our tulip poplar tree to make it a bit easier to get by said tree when he is mowing. As far as a cleaning job for me today...well, I dusted the ceiling fans. I had a bit of a stiff neck so sat for a while with the heating pad and it is much better. So hopefully I will be able to accomplish a bit more around the house tomorrow. I did sit on the front porch for a while this afternoon and talked with Cheryl (more planning for her visit). I did find out that the mosquitoes are biting...just in the few minutes I was out there they did a number on my ankles and I kept watching for them and never saw one...but they proved that they had been there! We have a plan to try to keep them from bothering us...going to build a mosquito trap that I saw on the internet...worth a try! Will let you know how successful it is! I'm not holding my breath! So turkeys on Tuesday and geese on Wednesday and Thursday...wonder what bird we'll see next.

No comments:

Post a Comment