Saturday, September 5, 2015

The World Just Keeps Getting Smaller!

This morning, while I was cooking, the phone rang and it was Nathan. They had just been to see a castle (Zamek Grodziec) and were back in the van heading back to Glogow. He said that their host now has wifi in his van and he had told Nathan to try it and see if it worked calling the states. This is Nathan, Kathy, Graham, and Abigail's third trip to Poland and Joy's second. For Esther, Elijah, Isaac and Joseph it is their first. On the other trips that have been made, it was very difficult to communicate between Poland and the states. Kathy used to buy a special overseas calling card so she could call to the states when they were over there (approximately 8 years ago...if I calculated correctly). And, now they can call on their own phones over their host's wi-fi. It just seems so strange that communicating is so easy from such a distance...definitely the world just keeps getting smaller! Woody got up and walked six miles this morning. Later in the morning, he did his usual Saturday errands...library, Credit Union, WalMart, and also the fruit and vegetable market. I got up and headed to the kitchen. Woody had bought a Boston Butt Pork Roast at Kroger on Wednesday and I knew that I wanted to make our barbecue pulled pork recipe with it. It took hours and hours...and hours of simmering on top of the stove with me skimming fat and cutting up the roast into small pieces. It finally all came together about five hours after I got it underway. I let it cool a bit and then finished pulling the pieces apart and then got it into two containers and took it next door to freeze (our freezer has about reached it maximum capacity...I keep using things, but Woody buys quicker than I use!). Cooking that today has a major preparation completed for the family get-together that we are planning while Cheryl is here. I had to rest a while after getting that cooking project finished! Later in the afternoon I did rally and managed to clean our bathroom. Woody cleaned up all the greasy mess that I made in the kitchen...so helpful...don't think that I could have managed it! Tonight's photo is of some of the pimentos that we have grown. These are the ones that I roasted in the oven yesterday. This afternoon shortly after I had taken the pork over to Nathan and Kathy's freezer, I started hearing rumblings and not very long after hearing the first rumblings there came a couple of loud claps of thunder and rain commenced to fall. So it was a surprise (for us) pop-up shower that turned into more than a shower...it rained really hard for some time...long enough and hard enough that the water was running swiftly along the edges of our street. We should have known that it would rain...Woody watered a garden this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment