Monday, June 13, 2016

It's HOT!!!!!

The flowers are blooming despite the heat...but since it didn't rain here today, I guess I should get up in the morning and do a good watering. Today I have sort of just dragged...perhaps due to the heat? It's in the 90's here today. I couldn't get very motivated to do much of anything today. I did do a load of towels that I will need to get out of the dryer shortly. One of the veggies that we were gifted the other day was a very large cabbage. Woody decided that he wanted me to steam it...so I added some of our fresh herbs to some vegetable broth and cooked that this morning. Woody washed dishes this afternoon and cleared the way so I could do some more cooking. Late afternoon I made Ratatouille (ra-tu-too-e) (my phonetic guide since I don't know where all the symbols are that I need to be able to do it like a dictionary!)Ok...for those who don't know what ratatouille is...here is Webster's definition: a thick stew that is made of vegetables(such as eggplant, tomatoes, green peppers, and squash) and sometimes meat. Ours had onions, garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and red peppers. The seasonings were oregano, basil, and black pepper. It is a very tasty dish. So today has been a veggie cooking day for me. Now for a story about our first experience with ratatouille...it was made by one of our blog readers (very dear friends...like family)...so, Doyle and Linda, this is a story that you probably remember from the gone by days. We were invited to supper at their house and one of the items on the menu that evening was ratatouille. Now...Woody and I were needing an excuse to find a logo that they were using for a new subdivision that they were developing...so being a bit "devious"...we needed an excuse to go to their desk. We used the excuse of needing their dictionary to look up the word "ratatouille." While Woody was using the dictionary, I found what I was looking for in their desk drawer (I knew that it was there as they had gotten it out to show it to me on another visit.). Now, this is not our usual behavior when we are invited for dinner! I really don't make an effort to go through folks' personal things! The reason for the "mission" was that I wanted to cross stitch the logo of their subdivision for a Christmas present and wanted it to be a surprise. I got the paper with the logo on it (it was right at the top of the drawer...I didn't have to rifle through anything), took it home and graphed it so I could cross stitch it. At a point when I was at their house another time, I slipped the original back where it belonged with them still unaware of the "theft!" Anyway...ever since just mentioning "ratatouille" makes me think of that incident...many years ago now. And, I promise that I won't go through your personal items if I come to your house...unless you want a surprise Christmas gift! And, it is a compliment to the chef of the first ratatouille that we ever had all those years ago...that I venture to make it myself so many years later!

No comments:

Post a Comment