Monday, June 27, 2016

Monday Rolled 'Round Again

We have had a fairly quiet day...neither of us has done a whole lot. Woody has worked crossword puzzles, watched TV, and even did a few dishes for me this afternoon. It was a day for me to do a bit of cooking. I made a marinated veggie salad this morning. It's one that needs to sit in the refrigerator a day or so to meld all its flavors together. It will be good to eat as a side both with sandwiches and main course items...nice to have on hand. Then late this afternoon I made a pot of chili...not exactly a hot weather menu item...but it tastes good at any time. I made it to help boost Woody's red blood count back up. His red blood cell count tends to run a bit low on a regular basis, but it went even lower after the surgery. I looked up to see what was good to make that would give him an extra boost and what I read was that chili is good as the combination of beef, beans, and tomatoes are good for what "ails" him. Chili was our supper tonight and there will be some for another meal or two. This afternoon I concentrated on finishing a book that was due at the library today and it couldn't be renewed. I was far enough in the book that I didn't want to just turn it back in and not finish it. I planned to take it back to the library and in that trip stop at a nearby grocery store to pick up one item that I needed for the chili. Before I got finished with the book, I noticed that a storm was blowing in (it got very dark for two in the afternoon)so I finished the book and then waited the storm out. It was still sprinkling when I went out, but the worst of the storm had passed. Our street looked a bit like a war zone with downed small branches and leaves due to the hard rain and the wind that happened when the main part of the storm hit. It was nice to have another good rain as the plants are really needing the water due to the hot temperatures that we have been having...another day that I didn't have to water. I will end with an Isaac (4) story. Nathan shared this story: Yesterday Isaac found an old WalMart gift card. He asked his daddy if he could have it. Nathan told him that he could, but he also told him that the card didn't have any money on it any more so he couldn't use it to buy anything. A little while later, Isaac came back with the card to show his daddy. He had glued two pennies on the card and told his daddy that the card had money on it now! Love his literal thinking! This story makes me go back to Art Linkletter times..."Kids Say the Darndest Things!" (And, yes, I know that Linkletter reference dates me!!!! For those who have no idea what I am talking about...it was a very funny TV show that involved interviewing children "back in the day.")

No comments:

Post a Comment