Friday, June 24, 2016

One Week Ago

Woody had his surgery one week ago today. I'm glad that he is sitting in his recliner here at home today rather than sitting on the edge of a hospital gurney! I see improvement every day. Definitely the redness around his incision is getting more "skin color" each day. I think that in another day he will be able to take the bandage off as it looks like the drainage from the wound is just about gone...and as soon as that drainage is no more, he can stop wearing the large band-aid over the surgical site. He has changed his gait. He is still using the walker, but now puts his foot flat on that leg rather than just touching his toes down. He leads with the "bad" leg and just barely puts any weight on that foot/leg using the walker for leverage and ten brings the good foot/leg forward. It is starting to look like "real" walking, though this gait still depends a lot on upper body strength. He has really taken it easy these days since he has been home...not pushing activity...trying to let tissue heal. Tonight we got the friendly automated Vanderbilt call to confirm our appointment next Thursday. He will probably have the staples out...and there are a lot of them...Woody attempted to count them on his picture the other night and finally gave up and just said that there are a lot of them! He hopes to be given permission to put more weight on his "rebuilt" leg after next week's appointment...and he is hoping to get driving priveleges once again. We had another very early morning...this time I was sound asleep and heard something that made me think that there was something wrong with the airconditioning...but when I came fully awake...a little after 3am...I realized that it was rain. It awakened Woody too...neither of us were expecting the rain. I, for one, was very thankful for it as it kept me from needing to water gardens today. I checked the rain gauge and found that we got 1 1/4"...a pretty good rain. The plants are happy too...and they really needed that rain as we are heading into a heat wave for the next few days. I had trouble getting motivated to do anything today. I think that perhaps my adrenalin has lessened and I have slowed down...almost to a stop! Plus these early mornings are getting to me. If I sit down, I seem to doze off. Woody continues to attempt to amuse himself reading, working crossword puzzles, watching TV (such as it is), and dozing. Life is going at a very slow pace in our household, at least these last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment