Monday, November 5, 2018

One Ringy Dingy! Two Ringy Dingy!

Today has been a day that belonged to the phones.  I armed Woody with one of our wireless phones before school started for me and the children.  That way he could handle any appointments that we got calls about.  When we started out the day, I had one appointment scheduled for early tomorrow morning 45 minutes away.  Woody had two appointments scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  One about ten minutes away and the other 1-1/2 hours away.  We knew that a couple of those had to be rearranged.  The first call that he got was the reminder call from my doctor's office.  It was a recording so I had to call them to reschedule for another day.  We took a shot at putting my appointment (only for 6-month labs and to see the doctor for a quick check-in).  So I got that one put off till December.  Then Woody got another call that he thought was Vanderbilt, but it was his nephologist's office...so that was a bit confusing until he got it straightened out that which office was calling.  By 2pm we still hadn't heard from Vanderbilt.  Dr. Holt had told me in an email that she would have her nurse/assistant call us this morning.  I told Woody that I would call them if we hadn't heard by 2pm.  I did have to call and managed to get put into a 3-way call with the appointment scheduler and Dr. Holt's nurse.  They had been extra busy today and she hadn't gotten a chance to call us, but she knew that Dr. Holt had said that Woody could be seen on Friday.  That is a surgery day for her, but she will see him between surgeries...should be interesting.  We have been told a time in the morning to be there.  We will be taken into a room and Dr. Holt will be notified that he is there and she will come between surgeries.  We'd probably better be sure to each take a book to while away the time!  And, then when you add in all the calls from politicians, our phone had lots of "ringy dingies" today!

I spent more time cooking this afternoon.  I tried a kidney friendly recipe for Soft Ginger Cookies.  Woody approved that recipe to be made again in the future.  I also made another kidney friendly recipe for Pasta Primavera.  It's one of the recipes that we have had from the first that Woody made several times when he first started on this diet.  I changed the ingredients in the sauce and made it more kidney friendly as the original recipe called for half-and-half cream...which is dairy and Woody isn't supposed to have dairy so I substituted rice milk which seemed to work fine.  It also has some of my homemade chicken stock in it.  The kitchen is cleaned except for the big pots and I'm not sure that I am up to doing those tonight.  The dishwasher has run so most of the dishes are clean...only the big pot that I cooked the pasta in and a couple of utensils that I don't put in the dishwasher.  I'm not used to this routine of having to do three meals a day for him.  He is usually on his own for breakfast and lunch.  But these days when it is difficult to balance while walking with a walker, it's more like juggling if he adds in the cooking that he usually does!  By the end of the day I am very ready for "my recliner!"

A week ago, Woody had just entered into the hospital at Vanderbilt.  His main concern was who would open up and lead the Furnace Room Prayer meeting.  Tonight he was back home, hobbled, but ready to be back in the Furnace Room Prayer meeting.  Kathy drove him so he was able to go.  He is now back home and was pretty when he got back to his recliner in the family room.  Hopping is for the birds...I'm sure he will tell you!  Hopefully the half-leg splint will come off and stay off on Friday. I'm just hoping that the hard part of the splint isn't rubbing the area at the top of the cellulitis.  He says that it isn't hurting now except towards the top...of course the way it was going away was from the bottom to the top...so maybe it is still hurting there because the infection still hasn't gone away in that spot.  We will see on Friday!

Bad storms are predicted to come through sometime in the night/wee hours of the morning.  All should be over by the time we get up in the morning.  Hoping not to be awakened by tornado sirens!  We are in a tornado watch which means that conditions are right for tornadoes.

Tomorrow is Election Day.  We are so glad that we early voted! The day we voted the week before last, we never dreamed that he would be in a non-weight bearing splint on election day!

No comments:

Post a Comment