Saturday, November 10, 2018

Want a Piece?

Looks pretty good doesn't it!  My late afternoon and into the evening baking produced one French Cranberry Apple Pie.  Yummy!  The funny thing about Woody's limited diet is that he can have sweets...processed white sugar...white flour...specific fruits...no dairy...very low salt (I did put a smidgen in the crust...less than half called for...crust just NEEDS at least a little salt!)...used coconut oil rather than butter or Crisco...anyway...a pretty yummy dessert resulted for his rather limited diet. One other change was that I put oats in the crumble topping instead of nuts (no nuts on his diet). There is one thing would have made it better: vanilla ice cream!  But that is a "no-no" on his strict kidney diet.

Today has been busy for both of us.  I did the weekly grocery shopping...three hours later I arrived home to put the groceries away!  Woody did venture out and drive for the first time.  He took groceries over to his friend who has no transportation (nor much of anything else, either...he mainly just has a roof over his head).  Woody didn't have to get out of the car.  His friend spotted him and he came out and got the groceries that Woody had for him and took them into his home.  Then Woody drove him to a couple places to get some things that he needed.  And, his friend got out and pumped the gas for Woody so Woody didn't even have to get out of the car till he got home!  He seemed to manage pretty well.  He is still keeping his walker close and is using it till his leg gets stronger.  He is being very careful.

I spent a looooooooooong time on the phone with my Part D prescription folk this afternoon...when I went to pick up my prescription today...they had two ready for me...and I had only phoned in one...that was just the start of things "not being right."  I will need that prescription in a week or so, but couldn't understand why it got filled when I had called and specifically asked for just one to be filled.  The pharmacist said that sometimes doctors just phone them in!  Really?!?  My doctor doesn't even know that I am using this pharmacy.  The next problem came when she told me how much I owed...four times + a little more than what I paid last month at the pharmacy that we have used for 50 years.  She couldn't explain why it was so expensive after I had met my deductible so she suggested that I call the Part D company...which I did...I was on the phone for more than 45 minutes...on hold a lot of the time...as the person on the phone tried to find out an answer to my question...why so much more than last month?...as I had met my deductible some time ago. The final answer after the third time of being put on hold was that the manufacturer had raised the price!  Now in all my years of getting medicine I have never had such a drastic change in a prescription price from one month to the next...except prior to meeting deductible.  While I was on hold I called "my pharmacy" (I still consider them "my pharmacy" and they will be again come January 1!) and asked the pharmacist to check to see what I had paid last month for this prescription and I had remembered correctly.  I told her what they were charging me at the "temporary pharmacy" and she couldn't believe it.  I plan to ask "my pharmacist" a few questions on Monday before I go pay the big price jump.  I want to find out from them if their price for this drug has risen due to manufacturer!   I wish that I could skip filling it till after the first of the year...but doubt that I will be able to stop taking it as it deals with both my arthritis and my transverse myelitis.  Oh, well, at the moment it is the principle of the thing!

I have the dishes in the dishwasher, but decided that I needed to relax and eat a piece of pie and drink a cup of Lipton Green Tea with Mandarin Orange before I bent down to put the dishwasher detergent in and close the door and run it.  I will do that after I finish tonight's blog.  My back is protesting my busy day!  I am heading to my recliner and heating pad as soon as I hit publish and go start the dishwasher.  Looking like another quiet Saturday night in this Dorrell household.  The neighbors (Nathan and Kathy and family) have put up their Christmas tree.  I'm not sure that ours is going up this year.  I was told "after the first of the year" for kitchen renovations to begin so I would just as soon not have to put away Christmas...but I haven't heard from the contractor so who knows when "after the first of the year" really is! Guess I should call him...but every time I tell myself that I will call "something" happens that keeps me from making the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment